Sunday, August 20, 2006

The "writing while online" blues

Last night I was up laaaate. And since it wasn't my daughter keeping me up (actually, I was alone), I started writing. This happened to come about when I was online, chatting with an editor I know. I started going between Word and (ISP), chatting here, writing there. Then I happened to get too distracted with the writing. By the time I went back to the ISP window, I was dismayed to see I'd been logged off! (I wasn't really angry about it; just worried the editor thought I rudely logged off without saying goodbye. We usually do the "good morning" and "goodnight" thing when we catch each other online.)

Apparently, I'd been logged out due to inactivity. (I'm not going to say which ISP it was because I don't want to be sued for defamation, but you can probably figure out which one it is! As the editor told me the next day, this particular ISP is the ONLY ONE that logs users out after a few minutes of inactivity. Gee, and you wonder why it's so unpopular!)

Well, this ISP I use isn't exactly a writer's friend! There are so many times I'll start writing something while I'm online, but sometimes I'll be going back and forth because I'm using email interviews and Web sites for research. But, I have also been writing while logged on and had my Away message on, warning everybody on my Buddy List that "The muse is upon me!"

For the longest time, I've wanted to get a new ISP. Sooo many people have been hammering it into me. But the truth is, funds are REALLY TIGHT right now. (I MIGHT have this paying gig coming up, and HOPEFULLY I will get it and HOPEFULLY it will bring in enough where I can get better Internet access.) It's definitely on my "to do" list. I haven't been happy with this ISP for a long time.

Today, I started writing while logged in again. And instead of trying to fix the article that was going nowhere, I just closed it and decided to work on it later. When I'm offline. I DID manage to get other writing done today, though. All offline. :P I also drew something, too, and at least the drawing is done offline, anyway, so I don't have to worry about getting knocked off if I happen to get too busy with even THAT.

No comments: