Sunday, August 27, 2006

Finding a "virtual" home

An article I read in the newspaper once prompted me to write about the whole "buying online" issue. The article was about people using Web sites to buy a new home. They were talking about how they were trying to AVOID using a real estate agent, paying commissions and all that, but when one couple shared how they "bought" a home online then went out to see that it didn't exist, that's what got me writing about the whole "buyer beware while shopping online" thing. I haven't SOLD this article yet (it's not even TYPED; I wrote it in my notebook at the laundromat), but I have been thinking about it a lot lately, because I'm planning to move.

Yes. Again.

This time, however, I'm not looking for a new place to live in Oregon. I have my sights set on the Bay area. I miss California; I am kidding myself if I think I'm not. I'm a California girl! I gotta be back on my home turf! There's actually a plan put together where I can make living out there happen.

My best friend (who I have known for half of my life and I consider his family my "second family") is helping me out. Well, kinda. LOL I only HOPE he'll drive the truck!!

Anyway. He suggested I look at the site Craigslist to find a new place to live. And that's why I'm thinking about that article a lot.

Am I really willing to rely on that kind of method to find a new home? What if I "find" one, get all packed up, get a truck loaded, we drive out there, and there's NOTHING there??

Add to this the fact that I've heard MANY horror stories of false listings on Craigslist. I mentioned this to my friend and he said that you can tell if a listing is bad by a negative posting about it. He also said that, given his work keeps him SO busy, he's had to rely on the site to find an apartment, as well. So the both of us are pretty much using the same thing to find a new home. (The only difference is, HE can go out and look at a place before committing any money to it; I can't.)

I'm not going to just throw any kind of deposit towards the first listing that looks good. I'm going to be careful about this. I mean, I have checked out what's on there, but I'm staying in touch with my friend and asking about listings before I move any further ahead with it.

I have had negative experiences of shopping online before, but NEVER have I entertained the idea of using the Internet to find a new place to live. This kind of is a little compromised; I can't drive out to see a place before I sign anything. But at least I know to be extra careful and maybe I can visit with everybody out there while checking out any listings which may seem promising.

No comments: