Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Facing the beast

So I need to learn Web design. Or, should I say, "relearn" it. I started trying to learn how to design a Web site using HTML a long time ago, then just.... drifted from it. But a new "enterprise" of sorts with someone I know has made me face that monster called Web design, and LEARN it.

I really don't know where to begin. As it stands now, I'm creating a site using a free "site design" host, and this one is just SO different from Tripod, it's like treading new ground.

That's the feeling I'm getting with learning how to design a site.

Someone I know is helping me create an author site. She's doing the bulk of the work (because she knows how!) but I asked her to teach me how to do it, too. You know the saying: "Give someone a fish, you feed them for a day. Teach them how to fish, you feed them for life." It's kinda like that saying. I want to LEARN this stuff, and not have everybody else do it for me. Or rely on the "free site design" sites.

Another person I know encouraged me to check out Front Page. For all this time, it's just been...STARING at me. And making faces. She also sent me a "crash course" of an HTML tutorial. I need to spend more time going over BOTH things, just to become familiar with them.

I don't see Web site designing in my future. But it's a nice thing to learn -- and know.

No comments: