Saturday, August 12, 2006

Sun people

Have you noticed how it's sooo common to see a person tanned? In fact, society is so USED to everybody being tanned, we almost can't believe our eyes if a white person is, well, WHITE! LOL As a preteen, my cousin complained I was "so white." After living in the desert for 14 years, I got a VERY GOOD tan. Problem is, my tan is not an even one. My arms are darker than my stomach, for example, but that's only because I NEVER wore a bikini during the summer. (I'm too modest.)

But it's true, we're really used to seeing people with a tan. And the more I thought about that today, the more I realized something. It also reminded me of the fact that A LOT of people in this world are "sun worshipers." We LOVE being out in the sun.

We are the sun people.

Of course, being a burn survivor, my doctor has ALWAYS cautioned me about being out in the sun. My burn scars are third degree and all that excessive heat and humidity is Not. Good. I had to slather on sunblock that had at least 30 SPF as well as wear a cap if I went out in the sun. I was also told to wear a long-sleeved shirt or light jacket/sweater, but when you're living in the desert where it can get as hot as 121 degrees, there's NO WAY I'd wear any long-sleeved clothing when going out in the heat. One of my nephews used to live in the desert, too, and he'd constantly tell me how'd he'd run when taking out the trash or getting the mail. Haha.

On the other hand, SOME people aren't bothered at all by the heat. I heard of quite a few people in the desert who would run around in sweatshirts or jackets and not even break into a sweat. Tan or no tan they are the sun people, too.

I'm sorry I don't have any cute term for people who DON'T have a tan. Or who, like me, have a mixture of tanned/untanned areas of the body. Hmm... how about moon people for the untanned? Sun and moon people for the tanned/untanned crowd? DayNight people. There we go.

No comments: