Thursday, August 17, 2006

Second world

I heard there's a site on the 'Net that gives users a "second life." Something a VR thing.

Me, I'd rather have a second world to live in. And, I do, with the writing. But it's also a part of my "virtual world." I.e., the Internet.

I have received SO MUCH criticism for being online so much. My defense is, I have a lot to do. Which is true! I wear...many hats. LOL Sometimes I think TOO many! Ack! But it's been a productive week. We're wrapping up Skyline (finished editing material for it), I fixed up and submitted a short story, I've submitted a few articles, a few queries, submitted an essay to a magazine, and started to work on my next assignment for SIGNews. And, oh, yeah, I've been BLOGGING. LOL There is that....

What the Internet ultimately gives me, though, is an easy way to communicate with others. With the Internet, I don't miss out on things people say. I interact with people sooooo easily (no more of that "what did you say?" or "can you write that down?"). And, as can be seen, it's given me a way to work as a writer. Almost every single method of my communication with editors and publishers is through e-mail. Same goes with other writers and authors I know. I have asked about phoning them a time or two, but the concept of a relay call never went over very well. Heh. I HAVE, however, telephoned some editors, publishers and printers. And I'd always hear some kind of reaction or another over the relay-call experience.

Yup. The relay calls. I don't have to worry about the cost of a long-distance phone call, either, because I use the Internet to make them. The relay calls are a part of my world. The deaf world. And now that deaf world has been integrated into my "virtual world." I still have to explain to others that I can't hear an audio file or can't participate in a teleseminar because I am deaf, but, for the most part, it has worked out really well. And telling an editor I'm deaf doesn't put a dent in my chances of landing a deal with them or working with them. Some editors have actually responded with curiosity.

I know one blind writer who uses the Internet to build her writing career. Yes, she is a writer who is blind. That desire to write transcends ALL limitations. Every one. And we have both talked about how the Internet really does make our "work life" easier. We don't have to worry about missing a call, because we KNOW people will email us instead. We don't have to worry about people feeling uncomfortable around us; they can't see that we are blind or notice that we are deaf. To every one else, we're just another "person" online.

Now, admittedly, ALL of the things I do, combined, take up a lot of time. I'm constantly jumping out of my chair to tend to one thing or another my child needs done. I don't spend all day online; I'm just on and off a lot. But I DO stay connected, because, really, the Internet is also my PHONE! LOL And if I want to make a phone call, I don't want to have to wait for the computer to boot up. Ugh. But, anyway. Yeah. I need to figure out how to space things out so I don't have TOO much online stuff to do every day. I said in the beginning I might be posting on this blog every day but, really, I can't. LOL My brain is ALWAYS coming up with more stuff to write, more stuff to blog. That's where the convenience of pen and paper comes in. (Though, admittedly, being a divorced mom means my free time to write is a little...compromised.) But it won't kill me NOT to post it here. Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't. And I know I promised the mods at the Absolute Write Water Cooler I'd show up every day, but... I don't think I can do THAT, either.

I have a lot of book projects going on. Some of them involve doing research on the 'Net. The 'Net is also how I find magazine guidelines, book publishers and literary agents. It's also mini-educational segments where I can read articles on writing/publishing, as well as picking up on new ideas, news items in general and even a tasty recipe I wouldn't otherwise find. It's how I learn how to FIND someplace out here (usually LOL) and what kinds of schools and businesses there are that I can't find in the phone book. It's also my way of staying in touch with my family in California; sometimes we'll chat through IM or send emails back and forth. There is no way I can receive phone calls here (unfortunately; that is ONE downside about Internet relay) so they email me, instead. Or chat. The Internet is also how I network with others -- and, really, the BEST WAY for me to do it. I can't understand people talking very well in real life!

And, it's where I "work." I got my SGNews job through the 'Net. It's still how I maintain it.

On one hand, I wish people who criticize me, who judge me, would just spend ONE DAY in my shoes. It's hard when you are deaf. REALLY hard. And, I have this HUMONGOUS drive to keep at it and keep at it to stay on top of the writing game. To keep my name OUT there. My fault, I know. Of course I interact with real people from time to time (like with dr. appointments and at church, etc.), but most of them have to write what they say on paper or have someone sign for them. Here online, no such thing is needed. And that's almost like a paradise for me. Almost like STILL communicating with people, without even being deaf at all.

No comments: