Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Play ball!

Today Jen started T-ball. Now I know it's T-ball but I call it baseball instead. Not sure if she's understanding that T-ball is the sport for her age group for now and she'll be playing baseball (the REAL THING!) soon enough.

We got to practice late because Jesse was eating before we left and he takes a loooong time to eat. I don't rush him. Not good to cause a baby that kind of stress and he needs to be able to eat at his own pace. I didn't want to just give him a sippy cup of milk and get him into the car, either. Get him something on the way or give him a snack instead. I wanted him to eat his meal first (he'd get hungry!) and that's what he did.

So we got to practice about a half hour late. MIRACULOUSLY, I didn't get lost on the way. Woot! While Jen practiced, I stayed with Jesse (he was in his stroller) and it wasn't long before he started throwing Jen's baseball that she left with us (the team was playing with the coach's supply of balls). Almost every single time he threw it against the fence, I clapped and cheered "Yay!" as I went to pick it up and hand it back to him. He had fun doing that and I was starting to think, 'Do we have another ball player in the family??' I wouldn't be surprised if he starts catching on to the great sport that is baseball just like his big sister. One of these days, maybe they'll end up practicing together! And when he's old enough for T-ball, then maybe she can give him some pointers, too.

Jen did pretty well at practice. She threw well, caught well and didn't do so bad at bat. Here is a picture of her practicing her hitting:






After practice, I chatted with the coach. She asked about Jesse and kept saying how cute he looked. Soon Jen joined us and her coach started giving her some pointers on catching and hitting the ball. Her coach is super awesome! The same coach she had last season. She's very cool and, thankfully, I don't have a hard time lip-reading her. I just think she's great.

I'm really excited about baseball season finally going on. Yay! Baseball is one of my favorite sports (basketball is another one) and I'm thrilled that we get to be involved in the sport in this way. Even if my kids don't grow up to be ballplayers or even athletes, I'm grateful that sports can be a part of their lives now.

And here is one of my favorite baseball songs: Centerfield by John Fogerty. Couldn't find one with a ball game that had the song playing, too, but this one is the next best one! I was able to lip-read him for most of the song. I can't hear it, of course, but I heard it before I lost my hearing and it was in my head a lot today:



Read the lyrics here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the kids love baseball, its the all american sport you know! Jesse probably WILL like baseball especially being exposed to it so young. My oldest did little league one year and then said she didnt want to do it again, that she just wanted to do swimming and volleyball so thats what we did. (Maybe if we had started with T-ball she would have liked it better? As it was she started with softball in 1st grade, it was coach pitch so it was the beginner kind. My youngest never even wanted to try baseball so we never even went there. Its sad to me though because my hubby LOVES baseball and he played it as a kid, so it would have been nice if one of our kids liked it, but oh well. He is an awesome volleyball and swim dad too, ha ha
:-)

Dawn Wilson said...

That's great, Nancy! :) Baseball IS a great sport, but not for everyone. Everyone seems to have their own preferences with sports. The good thing is they are into sports and that they are playing the ones they love. Growing up, my dad and brothers were into watching those games and cheering for their favorite baseball, football and basketball team. I tried out for sports in high school but wasn't very good at it. What's weird is that I was better at the sports thing as a kid, not a teenager! LOL I blame puberty. :D