Thursday, May 07, 2009

My $1 breakfast


At the suggestion of a couple of blog commenters from yesterday, I decided to follow through on Subway's $1 breakfast offer this morning. Above is a pic of the egg and cheese flatbread sandwich that was being offered for just $1, along with the complimentary coffee. When I showed the sandwich-maker (sorry, didn't take his pic! LOL) the coupon, he said "okay" and got to work getting everything he needed for this breakfast sandwich. This pretty much gave me the impression that A LOT of people must have been coming in with that coupon ever since it appeared in the paper. (It expires today, in fact.) When he put the thin sheet of egg onto the flatbread, I'll admit it didn't look very tasty. He warmed it up and I busied myself with reading the ads on display while he waited. I looked up at the menu and noticed that there are indeed breakfast sandwixhes being advertised there. Ugh, I REALLY should pay better attention to those things and look at ALL of it. Not just the part of the menu I was interested in.

When it was done warming up, he laid the sandwich on the counter where the veggies were and asked if I wanted anything. Sweet, I thought. It's not just egg and cheese. I get to add things! But I wanted the sandwich to be basic, so that I could gauge what would go best with it for later. So I just asked for tomatoes and then he wrapped it up. He got my coffee, bagged the sandwich and I handed him the dollar.


And it wasn't a bad sandwich, either. Kind of bland, though. Maybe next time, I should ask for some salt and pepper. Maybe some jalapenos. Some bacon bits. It really could have been a better sandwich, not to mention a little warmer, but with the way it was, with the tomatoes, turned out to be at least satisfactory. Not bad for $1, really. But I know that even if I'd asked for other things to go on it, then I would have thought it's a good deal for a $1 sandwich. And it was filling, too. And the coffee was pretty much what you'd expect for fast food coffee. It was not old, but probably because I showed up within the hour after they opened! It was decent coffee, so no complaint there.

Overall, I was satisfied with my $1 breakfast. You certainly would pay more getting these ingredients yourself! So maybe it's not so terrible to take up an offer to buy a meal for just $1. Like one commenter said, it's probably for promotional purposes. The important thing is that there is effort put into making the food at least edible.
And in these tough economic times, we all could use a break like this every once in a while. So maybe that was why Subway did this offer, too. Just to give those of us struggling to put food on the table the chance to only part with a single dollar bill in order to enjoy a decent breakfast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See now I didnt know subway made breakfast things at all! Maybe you should write for them too, ha ha

Looks good though, I'm glad it turned out to be a good deal and decent food!