Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dream creepiness

On weekday mornings, when I'm up and getting Jennifer ready for school, I leave the TV on the channel that airs Good Morning America. I watch that show almost every day. Sometimes during the show, the local news comes on. It also comes on before GMA.

After I showered and got dressed this morning, I sat on the couch to tie my shoes, watching the local news that comes on before GMA. At one point, I looked up to see a story of a local man being charged with sexual assault. Three women have testified against him in the case. He is also accused of murdering someone.

When I saw this man's face, my heart froze and a shudder ran down my spine.

After the alarm went off this morning, I fell back asleep for about a half hour and had a dream. For some reason or another, I was in the carport and I was totally nude! I was trying to hide the fact that I wasn't wearing anything, ducking against the wall as several cars drove by out on the street. (Sometimes, I really hate living on a busy street.) Anyway, at one point, I heard music playing, then looked up to see this man come into the carport. He was bald and wearing black sunglasses. He was dancing as he approached me then he grabbed my arms and pulled me up. He tried to rape me and I was wriggling from his arms and screaming, "No! No!"

That scared me so bad, I woke up. And you know what scared me even more?

That man I saw on the news was the SAME MAN in my dream! EEK!! He wasn't wearing sunglasses during the trial, of course. But he had the same exact kind of head and shoulder outline. And later, after I got a newspaper, I saw his picture in the newspaper. All I had to do was put those same black sunglasses on his face and that was enough to make me shudder and nervously pace around in the kitchen until I finally gave myself a mental shake of the shoulders and screamed at myself with my internal voice, "GET A GRIP!"

It was only a dream. It wasn't real. I hate having violent dreams like that. But what bothered me the most was that I had that dream and I ended up seeing that same exact face on the news shortly after I awoke! GAH!

It's not uncommon for weird things to happen in our dreams. I mean, anything can happen. After all, it IS the dream state! But sometimes, we can only wonder if there is something more about dreams than just our imagination. Some people believe that we can have out-of-body experiences in our dreams. Some believe that we can perform astral travel while we dream. And then, of course, there are the dreams we have in which departed loved ones have visited us. (Read an article I did about this for Shadowlands: Ghost Dreams: The Good and Bad of Ghostly Visitations in Our Sleep)

And, of course, people who know me or have read Martha Jette's book, Glimpses 2: It could happen to you, are aware of my dream experiences with a man named Jonathan.

All kinds of bizarre and creepy things can happen in our dreams...

This also reminds me of something I said in an email I sent to my sister recently:

Want to hear something creepy? I don't know if you're familiar with the book In Cold Blood, but it is based on a true story. Two drifters killed these parents and two of their 4 children in Kansas. Anyway, in the book, one woman interviewed said she had this dream of the girl, Nancy (age 16), and she heard her saying, "No! No! Please! No!" And I found out later that that is exactly what the girl said right before she was murdered!! Creepier still: Another woman who knew the mother saw her in a dream and she was saying, "There is nothing worse than being murdered."

This makes me wonder if there are any books containing stories of dream oddities or how someone's dream came true or something like that. I am aware of Sylvia Browne's Book of Dreams, but I am curious if there are similar books with stories like that. Might be something interesting to read. If not a little creepy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you saw him in a dream. After Natalee Holloway dissapeared, about a week later I dreamed she was in a box, floating in the water and she was freed and tried to climb up a cliff. Then in my dream the cliff crumbled under her hands and she turned me me (also trying to climb the cliff with her) and said, "please help me". Then I saw her float away, dead in the water with her hair floating behind her.
After that I just knew she had died in the water. And I'm not sure if at that time they had had any inkling that she might have been dumped in the water.

Millie said...

Wow how creepy. I hate having dreams that are so stressful & then seeing things that remind * me of it. Sorry you went through that, your mind must really be going if it made you shiver. Sometimes it's so hard to interpret why we dream what we dream. I just recently bought a dream book.

Dawn Wilson said...

Nancy: That is very gripping. i'm really astounded you had that experience!

OctobersDoll: My mind is fine. The way I reacted to that view of the man on the TV was perfectly normal given that it happened within three hours of awakening from the dream and he looked just like the man in my dream. Try putting yourself into my shoes for a minute. Having a violent dream like that which affected me so profoundly then awakening and seeing the aggressor would cause any SANE person to shiver. I'm not crazy just because I reacted the way I did, m'kay?

Dawn Wilson said...

P.S. I am FINE now, BTW. It was just a stupid dream and nothing more.

Millie said...

Lol I definitely didn't mean that you're going crazy! I meant that you must have a lot of thoughts running through your mind. lol

Dawn Wilson said...

Ohhh I see. LMAO Sorry I got all huffy and misunderstood you. Mondo miscommunication flub there! LOL Thanks for clarifying. :)

It's just one of those things that happens when you're a writer!

Anonymous said...

That Natalee Holloway dream is the reason I started the dream journal to begin with, but I have not been good at updating it.

Dawn Wilson said...

I know what you mean, Nancy. It's hard to keep up with things like that. Especially when some dreams can awaken you at something like 3 or 4 in the morning. There is that temptation to go back to sleep instead of writing the dream down, then it's hard to remember the dream later.

I'm terrible at keeping a daily journal. It's hard enough keeping track of the writing work, but at least the weekends usually don't count. :)

But it's a good idea to keep a dream journal, whenever you are able to keep up with one! :) Dream analysis has always been a hobby of mine. It can be very interesting to see what kind of dreams you are having in certain times of your life, and what the dreams could mean. I think it's possible for dreams to mean one thing at one point, at first glance, then something else entirely later on down the road.

However, the dream you had with Natalee definitely shows only one thing. I don't think the meaning of that dream will ever change. And it's kind of unsettling for things like that to happen. Some skeptics may look at it and say that maybe you watched too much of that case on TV or read too many stories about it, to the point where it would influence your dreams. And some who believe...would know that your dream is definitely connected to her disappearance and possibly her death.

Those kinds of dreams never leave us. They can be very unsettling, but also very profound.