Monday, February 02, 2009

The best-laid plans

Because Jennifer had a 4-day weekend coming up, I wanted us to go out and do something FUN! So leading up to this special weekend, I started to plan it all out.

On Friday, we would go to the science fair. Then on Saturday, head out to Portland for the Disney show. (I also wanted to take a trip out to the Shanghai Tunnels in Portland, which are supposedly haunted!) Then on Sunday we would go play golf, and on Monday we would head out to the Cold Stone Creamery for what is, in my opinion, the best-tasting ice cream I have EVER had!

Well, that was the plan, anyway. Of course, it didn't work out! Sigh.

We got the date wrong for the Disney show. It was on Friday, NOT Saturday. My husband had to work. Which meant he couldn't drive us out to Portland. Which meant we had to cancel. (I can't drive out to Portland. Trust me on this!) I couldn't get Jennifer registered to attend the science fair because by the time I got through to someone, it was filled up. So instead I thought we could go to All That, which is what I haven't had the chance to do yet. The plan was that I'd take Jennifer to Playland, then to All That. But while we were at Playland, I started feeling REALLY sick. (I'm still sick with whatever it is I have!) I felt too sick to go anywhere else. So after Playland, we got some pizza from Pizza Hut and ate that at home while watching the Tinker Bell movie. (Jen LOVED it and watched it TWICE!)

As to Saturday, my husband and I talked about what to do. We have plans to go to the coast on his vacation but we moved it to this weekend. Or, at least, that was the plan! Saturday morning, I was going to take Jennifer to basketball. It was her very last day of basketball. But when my husband got up to watch the baby while we were gone, he was VERY moody! I'm talking grumbling, complaining and just stomping around moody. Ugh! I guess it rubbed off on the kids because pretty soon Jennifer was all moody and slamming her door. And even the baby was cranky! I tell you, I just wanted to climb into bed and bury my head under the covers. He was basically complaining about Jennifer going to basketball when we ALREADY had this 4-hours of driving he had to do to go to the coast and back. And how it would compromise how much time we could spend there because we had to meet with friends for dinner at 4:30. I kept telling him her basketball only takes an hour and it WAS the last day. But he was still so bitchy about her going. So we pretty much spent the whole time Jennifer would have been at basketball....doing NOTHING! I was NOT happy. :( So we thought about going to the Lane County Historical Museum instead of the coast. (Wow, all that moaning about the drive ahead, and we end up canceling the trip altogether! Sheesh.) But with all the other stuff we had to do, that didn't pan out, either.

Still, I hoped that everybody's moodiness would pass by the time the dinner rolled around. Thankfully, they were all in a better mood by then and we had a pleasant time with our friends.

On Sunday, I was going to take BOTH of the children with me to church. Every Sunday I tell myself I'm going to do it! I'm going to leave Jesse in the nursery during services and be perfectly fine! I will march in there, drop him off without blinking, march right out and spend the next two hours AWAY from my baby while he's in the hands of strangers.

....ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!!!!! I am NOT that kind of mother. Sorry.

So of course I chickened out. Again. Well, maybe when he turns 2, I'll be able to handle it better. Heck, maybe I'll be grateful for the break. Haha.

So we didn't go to church on Sunday. We DID do the grocery shopping, though. And we DID get some take-out for lunch. And we did get some laundry done at the laundromat.

But did we get to go play golf?

Nope. Never happened. My husband didn't want to go ANYWHERE and I always get lost when I try to drive there myself. (I am hopeless behind the wheel. Seriously, it took me 4 attempts to try to find my doctor's office before I figured out the directions.) Instead of golf, we went to the library and checked out a bunch of books.

Well, at least we got out for a while! Doing SOMETHING. Yay, library!

And as for today? Well, we keep TRYING to fit in a visit to the Cold Stone Creamery. So far, that's up in the air. We'll see how the baby's mood is and if Jennifer behaves herself. But if not, well....there's always the ice cream we have in the freezer.

3 comments:

kaolin fire said...

ouch.

I'm good with not planning things. Expectations are horrible things...

(hello from AW)

Anonymous said...

gosh I can only plan one, maybe two things to do on a weekend, ha ha and you had so much planned! I'm glad you a little fun..sorry for the grumpy hubby and kids! I cant drive the freeway anywhere yet, so I can relate to wanting the hubby to drive.

I want to encourage you to leave baby in that nursery. I worked in one for a MOPS group for a year and let me tell you those babies were well cared for and entertained. There were only a couple that cried for a minute. The ones that couldnt stop crying, we would go and find mom and give the baby back. I dont know what the policy is there but you could try to just leave him for 20 minutes, not the whole two hours. Just 20 minutes and then go get him. Then you could try 30 etc. We did that with one mom and by the end she was ok with the two hours that they did their mops meeting. Instruct the ladies there who are babysitting that if he cries for longer than say 5 minutes they are to bring him to you, or come find you. As far a daycares and nurserys go, a nursery with more than one attendant is as safe as you'll get. But if you just cant do it, dont worry about it, just take baby to church with you, and dare those people to say anything about it! ha ha Thats what I would do.
I remember coming to WA from Calif and seeing these grocery stores with daycares in the front so people could shop....I thought OH HELL NO. I am not leaving my kid THERE. Ha ha But church, I did try that with Isabel. It worked only for short periods of time...like about 35 minutes was her limit and then she would get anxious.
Anyway, my comments are too long. I am on my hubbys laptop, I am having to totally clean my harddrive so tomorow I will back up a few things and then clean it and hopefully, it will work. :-)

Dawn Wilson said...

kaolin: I'm a big planner. But now I see that sometimes, you just CAN'T plan things. :) Thanks for the hello!

Nancy: Sometimes hubby complains that I plan too many things. Sometimes I'll put together a "to do" list for the day and he'll say that it can't ALL get done in one day, much less a whole weekend. I just think he's fishing for excuses not to clean up the storage room. LOL

That is a really good suggestion, about leaving him for 20 min then 30, etc. I'm so attached to the baby and it's hard for me to entrust him to people who I don't know. But then again, same goes for people I DO know! I couldn't even leave him with my friend for 1 hour! I don't know if my being super attached is healthy... He's just so little and so defenseless. And don't worry about the comment length. It's all good! Thank you. :)