Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Book meme

Lifted this meme from Colorado Writer


What are the last five books you bought/were given/somehow acquired?

1. Rewrite Right! by Jan Venolia
Checked this one out at the library. It tackles two stages of editing your writing: Content and grammar. I had a good laugh over grammatical mistakes pointed out, prompting my daughter to wonder about what I was reading. Golden opportunity for me to explain to her why it's important to write correctly, or else people will misunderstand you. She had a good laugh over the picture of a man whose knee had somehow disappeared. Yep, that's kinda the idea a person would get from reading a sentence written incorrectly.

2. Revision by Kit Reed
O. M. G. WHERE has this book been all my life?? Seriously, I am devouring this book and writing down a bunch of quotes. It's definitely going to be quoted in my Trimming the Fat book. Yay! I do, however, have one complaint with this book: Some of the handwritten samples are too hard for me to read. Even squinting, I couldn't read most of the handwritten stuff. So I pretty much just glossed over them. Such a shame. I know that reading and comparing them would serve as a learning tool to see how revisions help the material. Still, it's made me take note not to include handwritten before-and-after samples in my Trimming the Fat book. I have been debating about this and now I know it's better to keep EVERYTHING typed. I also put together a bunch of quotes from this book on one topic I'm going to write about. That'll go onto the writing and MySpace blog, um...sometime today.


3. Poemcrazy by Susan G. Wooldridge
Haven't read it yet but I paged through it at Barnes & Noble. I got it from the library and I'm looking forward to reading it -- especially since I sorta live, eat and breathe poetry.


4. The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
This is a smaller version of the book. I keep it in my purse. I read the regular version of the book after I saw it mentioned as a favorite book on a friend's blog and loved it. It really changed my life. I am sad the smaller version only contains the 40 tenets that Warren instructs readers on but they are still important pointers to reflect on.


5. Psychic Shield by Caitlin Matthews
Bought this book after something happened that made me decide, 'OK, time to set some boundaries and establish a few ground rules here!' As someone who can occasionally be sensitive to paranormal activity and certain unexplained phenomena, I have had experiences where I've been vulnerable to just ANYTHING happening. I don't want to be in that position anymore. I haven't read this book yet but I am hoping it will help me learn how I can set those boundaries and protect myself from certain bizarre things happening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I will ahve to do this too! Very itneresting book choices you have there!

Dawn Wilson said...

Thank you. :) I look forward to reading yours!