Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Vacation and sick days

Last week, my husband had some vacation days, so we went to the coast on Saturday. And, yes, you will notice I now call it "the coast" just like every other Oregonian. (Oh, no! I'm being assimilated! LOL)

But I called it "the coast" because it REALLY IS the coast! When we were out there, I actually saw the difference between "the beach" and "the coast." There is an area that is indeed a beach but mostly, the town of Florence, Siuslaw, Coos Bay, etc., are coastal towns. They've got the boats, docks, seaside shops and everything. It was just awesome to visit. I love the water (even though I can't swim in it but I can certainly fish in it!) and I was just in heaven while we were out there. It was amazing to see the beach and I loved being on the seaside. I could stand on those rocks, looking out at the ocean forever. It's just so beautiful.

We went to the Sea Lion Caves while we were out there. The caves are the second largest in the world and the largest in America. We saw REAL sea lions! It was just breathtaking. Just watching them, I felt that they were truly majestic creatures. I wish I had been able to hear that barking howl they are famous for. Jennifer wasn't very comfortable being in the caves, though. I think she got a little claustrophobic. We also wanted to tour the Heceta Head Lighthouse but the tours are only available during March. So we made plans to go back next month. It was cool to at least see the Lighthouse, though. :)

We ate at the International C-Food Market. The restaurant has a VERY NICE nautical theme (not overdone) and the service was excellent. The waiters were so nice and very accommodating. I was taken aback at the price of the food, though. I never ate at a place with such costly meals before! My meal (a "Captain's Platter" of cod, prawns, scallops and oysters) cost $24. My husband's meal of Scandinavian Halibut cost $25! Wow! But the food was delicious. I liked the way it was served (on square plates!); the presentation of the dish was very pleasing to the eye. And like I said, the food was very good! The portions were not too big, not too small. It tasted very yummy. The smell of garlic was heavy in the air and we enjoyed the view of the docks while we ate.

After our meal, we walked along the streets and checked out the shops. We bought some saltwater taffy and I got some espresso-flavored fudge (yummy!!). We also got some coffee from the local coffee shop; I got a mocha latte and it was delicious! Then we walked along the docks, looking out at the ocean and watching the seagulls. I looked out at the boats and saw a place that was selling live crab. I told Jennifer and she said she wanted to see them catching the crab. Well, maybe next time; I couldn't tell if they offered rides out on the boat to watch them catch crab.
We were planning to head out to Coos Bay from there but it was starting to get late in the day. It's almost two hours to drive back to Eugene so we decided to visit Coos Bay some other time. Maybe next month, when we go out there again.

Here are some of the pictures we took while we were out on the coast:












On Sunday, I was planning for us to go to church. But Jennifer said she didn't want to go; she wasn't feeling up to church. I debated going myself, just to try that suggestion from Nancy on leaving the baby in the nursery while I attended the services (thanks, Nancy!), but I had a bad feeling about leaving Jennifer. Something told me I just needed to stay home and be with her.

I'm glad I listened to that instinct, because later in the day, she was feeling really sick. She was nauseated for hours before she started vomiting. She had a fever and complained of stomach pain.
On Monday, she had excruciating pain in her stomach and she was burning up with fever (her temp was 102). She was crying and screaming so bad because she was in pain. I tried to get her to take a cool bath to help lower her temperature but she cried out when I touched her skin. It was awful. I had her on the BRAT diet on Monday. We got her some yogurt but she refused it. Yesterday, she barely ate anything. I finally got her to drink some water in the late afternoon, and a few hours after that, she ate a little bit of corn. We have been giving her Tylenol for the fever (her temperature has been going up and down) and monitoring her. She is still feverish and sluggish today. It looks like she'll be missing a whole week of school. I hope she will be better soon, though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww I hope Jennifer feels better soon. Your trip to the coast sounds nice! We have a restaurant out her in Seattle on the water called Ivers. We went there last weekend to meet some kt people and the food was wonderful but EXPENSIVE! We sure couldnt do that often, but it was yummy!

Jeralee said...

I love the coast. Love, love, love it! And "coast" is the correct terminology. Beach always reminds me of warm weather, hot sand and laying out to get a tan. Coast is more remniscent of beautiful vistas to enjoy, but too cold to dare wear less than a jacket. LOL

Your pictures are lovely and it reminds me that I haven't been out to the coast since October. It looks like you hit the coast on a nice day. Most of the time the weather is pretty crappy out there. But the best times to visit are February and late September/early October when it isn't too windy.

Next time try Mo's for the chowder. It is really, really good and right next to the International C Market. And a lot cheaper. And when you can get away earlier and have more time, head up to Newport to the Aquarium. Your kids (and you) would really enjoy it, if you haven't been yet.
I understand the illnesses all too well. Charlise has had a cold this week and has missed a couple of days of school.

Hope Jennifer is starting to feel a bit better.

Dawn Wilson said...

Thanks, Nancy! I know what you mean about the yummy food making up for the expense. One time hubby treated me to a night out on the town and drained his wallet taking me to a fancy restaurant and buying gifts. It's a night I'll never forget, but mostly because he was so generous and eager to please. Wives need a little something like that every once in a while! :) I'm glad you had a good dining experience. Yeah, I loved visiting the coast.

Jeralee, thank you. :) I love the coast, too! In fact, Jennifer and I wanted to move there. Haha But my husband said it's nice to visit but not move to. Well, a girl can dream. ;) Yeah, the weather wasn't so bad. I was worried about it being too cold. It was chilly but not too cold. I'll definitely try that chowder! I love chowder but unfortunately, I am the only one who does. :/ I hope you get out to visit the coast again real soon. And I'm glad you liked the pictures. Hope Charlise is feeling better soon. Jennifer has pneumonia and the doctor prescribed antibiotics. I'm nervous about her but staying optimistic she'll recover okay. I'm just glad we did this trip before she got sick! We'll definitely look into visiting Newport -- thanks for telling me about it! :) Thank you for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, now i want seafood!! lol Aww poor Jen, she just might be having a reaction to eating foreign food. I am glad you are getting more familiar where you live! Maybe when Al and I come visit we can go there, who knows. ttyl

Dawn Wilson said...

Thanks, Millie. :) That would be awesome. Yes, I definitely want to explore more of Oregon. It's becoming apparent to me that we're going to be here for a long time. So, I might as well embrace this as an opportunity to become more familiar with it! Maybe then it will start to feel more like home.

Or try to, anyway...