Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesday Ten

Ten things that happened in my morning:

1. Yesterday, when I started my workout, I was too tired and contemplated putting it off until I got more rest. But after I started exercising, I got pumped up and felt more energetic. Today, however, I woke up ready for another workout but feeling too tired. I started exercising, anyway, thinking yesterday's results would once again take place. It didn't. :<>
2. I told Jennifer my legs were wobbly from exercising. She wanted to know if I'd started up exercising because of a suggestion from my doctor. I told her, "I'm not exercising because my doctor told me to. I'm exercising for me." I patted my stomach. "Gotta get rid of this flabby stomach." At first, I worried if saying such things to her was bad. Was I modeling a poor self-esteem? Was I teaching her to be conscientous about her figure? And all the while that I worried over that, she was laughing and recalling that scene in the movie Click, where Adam Sandler's character is flapping the stomach flab left over from his surgery up and down.

3. Jennifer likes to play her computer game for a bit before going to school. She has a new car racing game and she's totally hooked on it. Well, she's allowed anywhere from 10-20 minutes to play her game in the morning, if she has that free time to spare. And that has worked out okay so far. This morning, however, she kept pleading to race "one more lap" when I told her it was time to go. We kept going back and forth over it and she REFUSED to get off the computer, put on her jacket and kiss her daddy goodbye. Finally, after much coaxing on my part and procrastinating on her part, she got off the computer and got ready to go out the door. She ended up being 10 minutes late. ARGH!! I'm going to have to talk to her about that.

4. When I got Jen to school, I parked the car and started walking her in. She wanted to know why I didn't just drop her off, saying, "I'm 6 1/2. I can go in by myself." (She always says "I'm 6 1/2" and not just 6. The girl CANNOT wait to turn 7. LOL) I explained I had to make a payment on her lunch account and check in at the office to see if they had my emergency contact information. She was confused about the lunch part, saying she knew her number and didn't need me to go in and take care of that. It took SEVERAL repetitions to let her know what I was doing didn't have ANYTHING to do with her lunch number or her picking up her lunch; just buying it. When she finally got it, she asked why I just didn't give her the money instead. There are 2 reasons why: One, she tends to forget about her lunch money kept in her backpack and, two, because she might lose it. But I just told her, "I don't want you to have to worry about that. On that note, in the past, the school has let her through if she had no lunch money and no money on her account, and I paid for it later. I don't know if that's still something they do.

5. My editor lives in Texas, which was recently hit hard by Hurricane Ike. I've been worried about her because she hasn't been online. I realize, though, that power is out in certain parts of the state, but I get antsy reading about the latest Hurricane Ike news. I'm shocked that 25 people died because of the hurricane. I sent her an email to see if she is okay (I don't have her home phone number) and I checked this morning but, no response yet. And she's still not online, either. Now I'm REALLY worried! I am thinking of calling the office to see if I can find out anything.

6. I have made a decision as of this morning: Book chapter or not, review or not, I WILL NOT sit through an entire movie that offends me too much. I turn off a movie if it offends me any other time; why should it be different just because it's for my writing?? No, I won't do that to myself. Watching Night of the Demons 2 really troubled me and I got mad at myself for forcing myself to watch it to the end. I am not a Catholic, but things that happened in that movie that would offend a Catholic offended me, too. I mean, I didn't even read the words when a student was performing a Satanic ritual in the sacristy of a Catholic school. I just kept saying "that is bad!" and waiting for that horrible scene to be over with. Also, I thought the "ninja nun" thing was really stupid. And what I wrote might not even go into the book! So, no, I don't think it's worth it to put myself through something like that. Just thinking about it makes me cringe even still.

7. After I dropped Jen off at school, I went to the store to buy baby food and a newspaper. The cashier was asking about my baby. She wanted to know the age and I told her, "Ten months. Well, almost 11 months. He's getting there."

"Oh, it's a boy," she said.

And I thought, wow, I just told her two facts about my baby all in the same breath. Had she been curious about my baby's gender but didn't ask yet? Or wasn't going to ask? I had to wonder over that.

8. Recently, I went to the Market of Choice because I wanted to try the dolmas they advertised about. I was curious about them so I wanted to try 'em! This was the first time I'd been to Market of Choice -- despite living in Eugene for 3 years! *rolls eyes* It was a very interesting store. The food area, however, just smelled BAD. I mean, they have a bunch of different kinds of food counters you can go to. The bakery, cold deli, hot deli and foreign foods. All of those smells combined weren't exactly very pleasant and I was holding my breath most of the time. Anyway, the dolmas were WAAAAY too tangy but I did enjoy eating the turkey and lamb borkas. I also bought a loaf of cinnamon and walnut bread. This bread is YUMMY! This morning, I had a slice of it with my eggs and juice for breakfast. I nuked a thick slice for 45 seconds and spread margarine on it. It was GOOD! I haven't tried it at room temp yet but I'm curious to try a variety of toppings with it to see which one I like best.

9. I was going to mail something this morning but I didn't get it to the mailbox in time. Bah! So I gotta go to the post office and mail it. Maybe THIS is the kick in the pants I need to FINALLY mail the packages off to Millie, Allison and Timmy? Hmmmmm??? The same packages they've been WAITING so long for. That have just been sitting in my closet...collecting dust. And my poor nephew is going without his ga-uh, GIFT! Yeah, yeah. I'll mail 'em. Today. THIS IS THE DAY I WILL DO IT! And stop kicking myself for not getting off my duff to freaking MAIL them, already....

10. I made it a point that I would not do any online stuff until I worked on my book first. No email. (Guilty.) No MySpace. (Guilty.) And no blogging.

......

Guilty.

UPDATE! Heard from my editor today. She is fine. Phew! That was news most welcomed. :)

No comments: