Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Dusting off the ol' lunch box

Today was Jennifer's first day of first grade. Last night, she told me she wanted to buy lunch but this morning, she changed her mind. As I made her lunch, I made a horrible discovery: WE WERE OUT OF FRUIT!!! OH, NO! Of course, I try to pack Jen a healthy lunch for school, but for good measure, I like to throw in some kind of fruit. An apple, banana or grapes. And even if she doesn't eat the fruit, or only eats some of the fruit, it's enough to keep my conscious clear. So, you can imagine my dismay over the "no fruit" disaster. I tried to talk her into buying lunch, because at least THEN she will be exposed to a fruit AND veggie choice, but no deal.
Thankfully, though, I found some pineapple fruit cups in the fridge, so at least she had that.

When I got her to school, there was only a TINY place available to park the car. Sigh! Oh, did I now remember how "fun" it is trying to maneuver through and find a parking spot in the school parking lot before or after school. (rolls eyes) So we had to park across the street in the church parking lot. With just a few minutes to spare because of the parking hold-up, we had to hurry to her class just to get there before Jennifer would be counted late. And we JUST made it, too. Phew! Last thing she needed was to be late on her VERY first day back at school! (This made me make a mental note to leave earlier from now on.)

I noticed there were parents leaving and some of them carried cameras. I know it's a big deal to "graduate" from kindergarten and start first grade, but I think the picture-taking thing is a bit...much. Just looking at the door to the classroom and seeing the words "welcome to first grade!" was memorable enough for me to embrace this experience my child is going through of being a big kid now. No more baby stuff; it's time to hit the books!

So I lingered in the classroom while Jennifer did her thing of putting her lunch box in the box and getting her stuff into her cubby. But I saw her come out of the cubby area with a troubled look on her face. I walked over to her and asked, "What's wrong?" She let me know that one of the children in her class put their book bag into her cubby. One of the staff came to where we were and told Jennifer to just put her backpack on a nearby crate for now. As she did that, the lady turned and said something to the teacher then talked to some of the kids. Eventually, one of the children came to the cubby boxes and removed her book bag from Jennifer's box. Jennifer was busy getting breakfast at this point, so I put her backpack in her cubby for her. Then I said goodbye but, boy, was it hard leaving that classroom! I kept looking back at her and waving. I literally had to pull myself away from there to leave the school!

I had a mission to go on, after all! Yup, after I left the school, I went to the grocery store and stocked up on fruit. Ah, the world was right again. LOL

After school, we had pizza, root beer and ice cream and talked about how her first day had gone. Jennifer said she was disappointed she didn't get to play with the toys in the classroom for very long. I reminded her that she was in first grade now, and that there isn't so much toy-playing going on at school anymore.

"But, Mommy, they taught us math," she said.

She said that like they were trying to teach her how to build a rocket, or something.

I just nodded my head and said, "That's good. They're supposed to teach you math."

"But I'm too little," she said.

I frowned. "Jennifer, you are not too little to be taught math." It's not like they're being taught algebra, or something.

At this point, her dad took over the conversation and talked with her about that.

Overall, though, as different as first grade is for her, she's happy to be back in school. And I think after a while, she'll get used to the changes and be more accepting of all of the new things she is being taught.

2 comments:

Nita said...

I like that "mommy they taught us math". I like the idea of first day of school pictures. I'm trying to get my daughter and daughter-in-law to take them. It's nice to look back through the years at how the child has grown, a year at a time. The girls take the pictures at home though, before the little one heads off to school. And this year my dil took it after school. Hey, it was still the first day.

Nita
(ritinrider)
http://roadtoscholarships.wordpress.com/

Dawn Wilson said...

Yes, it was! :) As for me, I just go with the yearly school pic, though we will occasionally get other pictures sent home from her teacher.

Thank you for commenting! :)