Friday, September 05, 2008

Thieving Eugeneans

When we first moved to Oregon, we found an apartment to live in in Eugene after 11 days of living in a hotel. (UGH!) We liked the apartment, the management was nice, but we soon had a rude awakening that Eugene wasn't exactly the paradise my husband kept talking it up as.

One day, we went to the playground that was located in the apartment complex. At the time, Jennifer was 4 years old. She had the habit of taking a "baby" (stuffed animal) with her EVERYWHERE. As it happened on this particular day, she forgot about her baby when it was time to head home. She left it sitting on top of a playhouse slide. By the time we remembered it and ran back, it was gone. It broke her little heart. She cried and cried over the missing bear. Meanwhile, I was steaming over who would do such a thing. We had seen a couple with their baby nearby as we'd left, so I thought maybe they took it. It was horrible and, for several days thereafter, she'd get sad and say, "I miss my bear." What made it worse is that the bear, which was white and had a green Santa hat, was a gift to her from her paternal grandparents. And me being so homesick, I had to wonder if that was a sign.

And with this happening on the cusp of me losing irreplaceable possessions in California, which my family had promised me they'd salvage but never did, it was hard for me to handle this, as well.

This was not the first time we'd lose something. Sadly, the next incident happened at the SAME apartment complex. (And this is pretty much why I will NEVER AGAIN live in an apartment complex!!) I have a friend in California who is a screenwriter and actor. When they were shooting a movie he'd written, he sent me a very cool T-shirt of the movie. I thought it was just so awesome and proudly wore it a couple of times.

Unfortunately, that was the most I could wear it; after I'd washed it in one of the public washing machines, it was gone. I guess someone had taken it, because it sure wasn't in there! (I loathed using the public washing machines. So many of the other tenants would just take my clothes out and set them on other machines. I did not entirely go crazy over some stranger handling my undergarments!!)

Later on, I'd read and hear about other stories of theft here in Eugene. After me and my daughter moved into this house (prior to my divorce), the previous tenants had left some things in the carport. They never came to pick them up and my landlord wanted me to get rid of it. Just donate it. Most of it was junk, but some of it, like a bike frame, was still in good shape. However, I had no use for the bike frame, so I asked a neighbor if he wanted it. He said "sure" and came over to pick it up.

And, it was gone. Oh, well! I guess someone had seen it and taken it! My neighbor, however, did find something he could use, so at least I got rid of that. (Later, my friend's son kept his bike in that carport. It ended up getting stolen, too.)

For a few months, I have had to use the laundromat down the street from my house. I have hated it. Not just hated carrying the HEAVY baskets up and down the street but, well, because of the above grievances with public washing machines, I just hate using a laundromat altogether. But I have had to because the washing machine I have needs to be repaired. (I am keeping my fingers crossed that will FINALLY happen soon!) When I got there today, I noticed something that left me feeling a little uncomfortable. The coin machine was busted open. I guess someone took a hammer or something to it to break it enough to get to the money inside. I was careful not to touch it and not to get too close in case I messed up any footprints or hairs left at the scene. Still, it left me feeling unsettled. A crime had happened right here on my street. Again. (At least there weren't any guns involved this time! I hope.) I thought of alerting the owner but I didn't know where his office was. I'd seen him only once. I thought about calling the police, but what if they started suspecting me? And was it even my place to call them, anyway?? I wasn't sure on what to do, so I left it alone. There were video cameras, so I hoped that at least was enough to let the owner know of the crime.

Earlier in the day, when I'd taken Jennifer to school this morning, she alerted me that the back passenger window had been left down overnight. Oh, great! I was afraid someone might've gotten into the car and stolen something. (Not too long ago, someone cut open the roof of my husband's car and rummaged through the stuff he had inside. Thankfully, nothing valuable was in there, so nothing had been stolen. Good thing the CAR hadn't been stolen!) But I checked and everything was still there. We were lucky this time. I guess nobody needed a car seat! *rolls eyes*

Yeah, I know we need to move. I have WANTED to move for some time...

But I realize that, no matter where you go, no matter where you live, there are going to be people stealing. There is going to be that crime. Stealing is EVERYWHERE and it can happen anywhere. Even on our own street. In our own backyard. How sad it is that it seems to be something taking place a lot more often than I have seen it take place before.

No comments: