Monday, September 04, 2006

Distracted

Wow. I tend to overdramatize things. I had a bad Labor Day weekend because of my daughter being gone, but she wasn’t gone for 72 hours straight. First off, she’s coming home today. Yay!! And, on Saturday, my ex brought her over for a while. We played Scrabble. It’s little things like that which helps me get through the weekends.

Admittedly, though, I caved last night. I was chatting with Angel when I got the sudden urge to go for a drive. (Not to anywhere specifically, though there WAS the suggestion I drive all the way out to Florida! LOL But sometimes, I just like to drive around.) And, well, I drove out to where my ex lives. At first I asked myself, what am I going to DO?? I couldn’t just show up at his door; it was late and my daughter might be sleeping. We pretty much have an agreement to keep our distance when she’s visiting with him on weekends, mainly because it’s so hard for my little girl when I leave. (She cries for me, making it hard for me, too!) But as I drove by his apartment, I could see her right through the window, sitting at his desk, coloring. At first, I wondered why she was still up (it was after 10), but then I started feeling better just seeing that she was ok. She hadn’t been kidnapped. The place wasn’t on fire. She wasn’t running around outside, all by herself. She was fine.

And, that helped me. It really did.

But, normally, I turn to my writing to help me get through the weekends. Well, writing and...reading books. One time, I was at Borders for hours, just reading and writing down quotes. This weekend, though, the focus was on my poetry book, which I am sending off to a publisher today. Now when I’m working on a book to get ready for a publisher (or when I’m “in the zone”), I lose all sense of time. It’s probably why I barely ate anything this weekend. It’s also why I’m late this month in paying my rent! (Ugh.) I just got so wrapped up with this book. And, once again, I’m reminded of the author who forgot to pay her electric bill and ended up losing power while she was working on her next book. But, my poetry book is done. Yay! I’m happy about that.

Now to work on my other books! I really need to get the novel revisions done. And contact some sources for my haunted houses book. And work on the “revision bootcamp” book. And fix up another children’s picture book I recently wrote. And work on the other novel.

And I still need to finish proofreading the Skyline Emag. Get my Ezine out. Finish up a sci-fi short story. Hopefully sometime this week I’ll finally sit down to write an essay I’ve been carrying around in my head for three days....

No comments: