Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A little ghost help

Something very strange happened yesterday. It was so weird and I'm still trying to understand it.

On the weekdays, I get up VERY early in the morning to get stuff out of the way before I get Jen up for school. One of the things that I have to do is let the dogs outside. So I went into the kitchen to let the dogs out, sleepily turning on the light. I look up and I saw this man standing in the kitchen who DEFINITELY didn't belong in the kitchen! He was some old-looking guy, around his 60's, wearing dark brown pants, a black sweater and holding a cap in his right hand. He didn't have a lot of hair on his head. When I saw him, I froze and my heart stopped. I honestly thought someone had broken into the house!

But the minute I processed this, he disappeared. Yep, disappeared right before my eyes!

I thought that was bizarre. I've seen many ghosts and have had quite a lot of paranormal experiences, but I still get a little shaky every time something like this happens.

What's strange is that my dog didn't do anything. He just slept there on his bed. So did the other dog (who is not mine but I have been pet-sitting her). But then again, I don't know what the rule is for animals and ghosts. If they're even aware there is a ghost present every time one is present.

Well, I got over the surprise and let the dogs out. Nothing else much happened while I made the coffee, said my prayer and checked email.

That was, until after I got out of the shower.

With the towel wrapped around me, I walked over to the sink. I looked up at the fogged-up mirror and gasped.

On the foggy mirror was the word "CLOSET."

I thought this was weird but REALLY spooky, too. I looked around, trying VERY hard not to run away screaming, then I just shrugged and wiped clear the mirror. Then I finished drying off and got dressed.

Later, after I got home and after I fed the baby his breakfast, I sat down at the computer to get some writing work done. However, I was really sleepy, so even though I had a Word doc open, I didn't start writing up an article right away. I relaxed in the chair instead, struggling to stay awake as I turned my head to look at the baby. He peacefully sat on the floor, next to the toy box, playing with his alligator xylophone.

Smiling, I turned to look back at the monitor and I was suddenly wide awake now. In big, bold black letters was the word "CLOSET" on the screen.

Sitting up in the chair, I just stared at that. WHAT THE HECK!

I cautiously looked around, wondering if my hubby had snuck up behind me to type it as a prank when I wasn't looking. But nobody else was there. And I checked; hubby was busy working on repairs in the kitchen.

Curious, I went back to the desk, first looking at the baby then at the monitor. I froze. The word "closet" was ALL OVER the document page.

Talk about crazy!!

"What closet!" I cried out in confusion, looking around and shaking my head. My heart pounded in my chest and I felt a shiver run down my spine. What in the world was going on??

Well, I didn't know what closet this...whoever-it-was referred to. So I just started going to all of the closets in the house, searching for anything out of the ordinary. I searched through my closet first -- which, thankfully, I recently got organized, so it wasn't a time-consuming job to go through it. Didn't find anything out of the ordinary in there. I searched Jennifer's closet. Nothing. Then I hit the hall closet. There's a whole lot of stuff in there! Unfortunately, I have yet to organize that one. But I'm getting there, you know? Got deadlines to meet, and all.

Anyway, just as I was about to give up going through the hall closet because I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary in there, I noticed something sticking out between the pile of dirty sheets I have yet to wash. Something a little different than the shape of a sheet.

Leaning further into the closet, I reached inside and grabbed it. Once my hand clasped it, I felt a rush of hope. Was it possibly...?

Yes, it was!

I smiled and squealed with surprise as I pulled out of that closet a DVD case that belongs to the library and that has been missing for WEEKS. We have returned the DVD, but were unable to find the missing case in time. (You can lecture to your kids til you're blue in the face about putting stuff back where it belongs and they STILL don't listen!) The library has frozen Jennifer's account (because she checked this movie out with her card) and she's been very upset because we haven't been able to find the case. And here it was now!!

How in the world it got in there, I will never know.

When I came out of the hallway holding my find, I looked up to see my husband standing in front of the computer. "I thought you were going to work on your writing?" he asked.

My smile faded as I looked at the monitor, where a BLANK document was visible. GAH!

I shook this away and told him about my find. I didn't mention HOW I found it, only that I found it! Hurray!

So when I picked Jen up from school, I showed her the DVD case and we both cheered at how it can go back to the library now and they will unfreeze her card.

But here's the part that is even weirder: When we got to the library to return the DVD movie case, I was at the desk and turned to see a man standing behind me.

The same man who looked like the ghost I'd seen in my kitchen!

One word: YIPE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeep!
Very strange!!!!!
Well, thats cool. At least it is a helpful benign ghost...or someone out of body who wants to help you, LOL
You are much calmer than me because that would be cause for me to freak out!
That also sounds like a good little ghost story to include in some anthology.

Dawn Wilson said...

Nancy....please don't hate me but....April Fool's. Bwa-haha. :D

It actually DOES sound like a good ghost story. I think I totally threw the ending, though. Oh, well.

Anonymous said...

you know...I was wondering about that.... :-D