Friday, April 03, 2009

Getting things done

I am happy to report that we have accomplished quite a bit this week.

The first MAJOR thing that finally got taken care of: The pipes have been fixed and I can now use the washing machine again. YAY!!!! Finally! No more going to the laundromat. I was in a real good mood after it was official that everything is now working okay. It was like a weight lifted off of my shoulders. I'd often gone to the laundromat grumbling to myself, "Stupid pipes!" So now I'm glad they're fixed.

Well, the ones on the surface are fixed, at least. The plumbing work going on here brought up a shocking discovery: The pipes underneath the house have rusted so bad that they are warped beyond repair and no good anymore. Apparently, one part of the pipe arrangement got so bad, it leaked. And leaked. And leaked.

It leaked A LOT of water out underneath the house. Gah!

So we're in the process of getting THAT fixed but at least we got the surface pipes fixed.

I also finally finished editing Book One in my MG series. Yay! Now to find some readers for it to go through Stage 2 of editing. I really, really want to give it another round of edits first, because I keep thinking I could improve the writing, but my muse is threatening violence if I so much as open the document. LOL She keeps telling me, "DO NOT edit it again!" Well it is at 50 pages, which is the standard for this particular type of book. Though what's on the page of the final book will be different than what's on the screen. (I am pretty much leaving the final word on page counts with the-agent-I-hope-to-sign-with.) What's interesting as I went over it, though, was that I found a couple of typos the editor who edited it missed. Whoops! I guess we all miss those little typos no matter what our job description is.

We also got a new freezer. Yay! Not that we needed one (actually, we need a new fridge!), but we ended up getting one all the same. It's a BIG freezer! Now all I need is a shopping spree to help stock up on frozen foods for it just like the lady in The Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio and we'll be all set. (I can't stop thinking about that movie every time I look at that freezer.)

I can't believe Easter is almost here. I have to hustle and get the kids their Easter pictures done. I already have Jennifer's dress and leggings for the picture, but I had to get pink ribbons for her hair. (Her dress is pink.) I also got Jesse a very nice suit. When I told Jennifer that I had to buy Jesse a new suit, she thought I meant a bunny suit. LOL!! I explained that I meant pants, a vest, shirt and tie kind of suit. She didn't understand why I was fussing over getting them really nice clothes and dressing them up for the picture, but it's just one of those things that moms DO!

Now if only I can get myself to remember to schedule the picture itself. And take Jennifer to get her bangs cut before then. All I have to do is look at her and think, 'Gee, she's starting to look like Cousin Itt.'

Oh, and I also need to put together a book proposal for another nonfiction book I have been working on. I finalized the sample chapters to include, so now I'm go for putting together the proposal.


And call the landlord about the under-the-house pipe problem, too.

Getting those things done is next on my list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are like the tazmanian devil running around doing things. I havent even thought about easter dresses. I did buy some easter grass for the baskets, but thats it!
I'm so glad you can do your laundry at home now!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn Wilson said...

Jennifer's dress is actually one of two that I bought for her last year. She chose the blue one last year and she'll wear the pink one this year. LOL :) She has some really nice dresses in her closet ready to throw on for special occasions and they're good to have if you don't remember to buy one for holiday stuff. Yep, I've been pretty busy getting through everything. I'm actually surprised at this new burst of energy to get organized and EVERYTHING fixed. But I guess you can only tolerate chaos for so long. LOL I hope you get your girls their dresses and all your Easter stuff put together!