Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Back to school, back to work

Yesterday, my daughter returned to school. We had a lot of fun during her winter break. I went easy on all the rules and allowed her to watch a little more TV than she's usually allowed and I also allowed her to stay up late. I just threw her bedtime right out the window -- but just for a little while, of course. As her vacation drew to a close, we had to reinforce that bedtime AND that limited TV time, just to get her used to her "school schedule" again.

Still, we had fun during her break. We didn't go to the park or PlayLand as often as I wanted to (I AM still busy with a young baby), but we still did things together and spent lots of quality time together. It got to where she started wishing she'd never have to go back to school again (hah! I'm not letting her go without a bedtime for THAT long!), but I assured her that we'd still have the weekends to do fun things together.

Now she has gone back to school and I have gone back to "work," as well. During her winter break, I eased up on the writing (AND computer) in order to spend more time with her and the baby. But when she went back to school yesterday, I was back to running errands and getting "writing work" done. I have yet to start my new writing job (still doing the paperwork -- ugh!! -- and I still have to go through the training), but I got "back to work" on my book projects.

I know they say writers never take a vacation, but I think it's a good idea to "create" a vacation, of sorts. If only for a little while.

No comments: