Friday, August 31, 2007

It took an episode of "Brisco County, Jr."

Watch out, world: Jesse James will ride again! And you can thank the TV show, "Brisco County, Jr."

The REAL Jesse James, famous outlaw, is not who I am talking about here. We have been watching the ENTIRE series of "Brisco County, Jr." on DVD lately. (Hubby is a HUGE Bruce Campbell fan.) The other night, as we watched the episode "And Baby Makes Three," the part where Whip Morgan (played by Jeff Phillips) names a Chinese baby "Jesse" is what prompted hubby to turn to me with a look on his face and say/sign, "Jesse."

I studied him at first, then it hit me. That was a name he liked for the baby. (Somebody call Guinness!! I couldn't believe it!! He FINALLY found a name he liked! I swear I almost fainted.) I scowled and said/signed, "That's one of the names I suggested before and you said no!"

He shrugged and said/signed, "I can't even remember half the names you've suggested."

Hard to believe, given I've been throwing names at him since I found out we were expecting in March.

So to refresh his memory, I made up a list of ALL the boy names I really liked and printed it out for him to go over. As amazed as I am about his new attitude in picking a name for the baby, I'm relieved, too. I'm almost 7 months along and think it would be NICE to just choose a name and get that over with. I've constantly been dreading giving birth to the baby and not having any name to give him! So from that list, hubby crossed off almost every name on there, except two. "Jesse" and "James."

How ironic. The very mention of the name "Jesse" had me thinking of Jesse James.

I can't name the baby "Jesse James," though. We already have a middle name picked out for him. It's a middle name hubby has, as does his father and grandfather. And I'm not crazy about giving the baby TWO middle names....though the "James" name was once seriously considered, since it's the name of hubby's father.

Still, it's a funny thought that our son would have the name similar to a famous cowboy. I had to chuckle over this whole thing, even with the character Whip saying, "It's a good cowboy name." Indeed it is, though I doubt that is a factor with hubby. He's a guy who hates horses (my daughter and I adore them). I guess he just likes the name itself, though, despite who it reminds me of. At least it's a "J" name, something both of us wanted. All the same, would be nice if he'd picked a name from one of the characters in my novel, November's Child. At least in this case, the reason behind selecting the baby's name would be more closer to home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww i like the name Jesse, that is a name with a lot of perosnality. YAY! Finally!!

Anonymous said...

I love the name Jesse. And James too! But Jesse more. The bf has a little cousin called Jesse. Great name, I think.
I can also understand why so many people DO name there child Jesse James. It sounds good, it flows well.

Anonymous said...

FYI, I don't hate horses, I just don't have a deep, instense liking for them the way some people do. ^_O

And BTW, there's other names I like besides 'Jesse' and 'James' but they were not on the short list.

Dawn Wilson said...

Thanks, Millie. Yeah, it's about time we got a name for the baby! LOL

April, I agree! The two names do flow well together.

And, Jason, sorry, my bad. I always thought you "hated" horses because of how you had something to say about all that horse stuff in Jennifer's room and around the house. I'd like you to share with me the other names you like...

And for the record, folks, I got the title of the show wrong. It's called "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr." Sorry 'bout that.