Thursday, August 02, 2007

Check lost in the mail: Good or bad?

Posting a "moaning meme" over at my DC blog http://dawncolclasureblog.blogspot.com/ had me thinking of YET ANOTHER huge thing I have been moaning about lately: My monthly income check getting lost in the mail.

ARGH!!!!!

This is the same check I use to pay rent, buy food, and pay the bills. Because hubby chips in on half for ALL of that, there's a little left over which I put into my personal checking account. (Yes, we each have our own personal checking accounts.) But hubby doesn't get paid until the 7th and with my check going MIA this month, that means we'll be late on paying our rent. *growls* NOT! HAPPY!

Of course I've been through some pretty tough times financially -- times that taught me how to be resourceful with food and necessities. But it's still so annoying that I have to eat a combination of a bowl of rice and a peanut butter/jelly sandwich for dinner instead of a BALANCED meal or that I have to elect to either not go somewhere or walk just to save gas. (I'm in my 6th month of pregnancy and the familiar back pains associated with the last trimester are NO FUN!)

But not being able to pay the rent on time is the BIGGEST grievance I am dealing with because of this lost check. Thankfully, my landlord has been understanding about this situation. I assured him we'll pay the late fee AND pay in cash just as soon as we have it. (He likes being paid with cash. LOL) It never looks good when you're late paying rent, though. It can hurt later on down the road when applying for a mortgage. I've always taken pride in being able to pay rent on time. Now I won't be able to for this month. Darn!! :(

Another problem is the fact that we owe money to my daughter's preschool. In fact, we owe them $167, money I was hoping we'd have from said lost check. *groan* Her teacher has been VERY patient with us but today is the last day and she asked me this morning if I had it. I told her I'd talk to her about it after school lets out at 3:30, hoping my check would MIRACULOUSLY come in today's mail. It didn't. And I don't know what to tell her... *cries* I HAVE thought of asking my mom if she could lend us the money until my check gets here, but I don't want to be one of those people who run to their parents for money in a financial emergency. I want to try to get that money myself! I HAVE thought of applying for a temporary loan, but I hate loans and I'd rather not go through that hassle again. I don't know what else to do, though!

Of course, aside from those two prolems, I AM trying to be positive about it. Having no money means we can pay more attention to good old fashioned fun and spending time together as a family. And I can take solace in the fact that at least I STILL know how to take care of the food problem in the face of having no money to buy food. (Oh, yeah. It's been a REAL test of my creativity!) And of course, I am reminded of ways I can try to make some extra money. I DO have books and furniture I've been wanting to sell -- why not get started on it?? And I can call in a couple of favors from people who owe me money. That would sure help, too.

I just hope my check ends up getting here at some time or another. So I can FINALLY pay my rent and utilities. AND finally pay my daughter's teacher the money we owe. This pressure has stressed me out and it has made me feel anxious and unsettled, but I'm still trying to be positive and optimistic about it all just the same.

2 comments:

Jana B said...

Awwwwww... Dawn.... *big hug*

I'll read the meme Monday (no puter access after I leave work in like 2 minutes), thanks for joining in!!!

Dawn Wilson said...

You're welcome, Jana! Enjoy your weekend. And thank YOU! **hugs back**