Saturday, March 14, 2009

The "in and out of it" day

This morning started out rough. I woke up at 6 coughing up phlegm pretty bad. I took some Comtrex but it was a while before it kicked in and I could go back to sleep. Thankfully, my husband took care of the kids this morning so that I could rest. When I finally got out of bed, I hugged the baby a long time because I sure did miss seeing him in the morning. I tried to get back to work and try to get caught up, but after managing to answer just three e-mails, my thinking processes went south and I had to put the rest of the work off for another time.

Later in the day, I took some more medicine and I was able to function okay. My husband had some errands to run. For a while, I survived okay. Thing of it was, whenever Jesse tried to play with a toy, Jennifer kept interceding and "taking over" his play. I kept reminding her to let him just play with whatever toy he was playing with, especially when he got frustrated over how she "messed up" the way he had everything set up.

Another thing I had to keep telling Jennifer today: "Don't play ball in the house." She got restless and kept kicking the ball around. I swear I started to feel like Carol Brady saying "don't play ball in the house" all the time. Gah!

As Jesse's nap time approached, I remembered to give him his afternoon snack and milk bottle. I put on Blue's Clues and he lied down drinking the bottle, watching it. He loves that show. He had no trouble napping afterwards and I was able to catch up on a bit of sleep, too.

Today I was watching "Haunted History" on the History Channel. They were doing an episode on "Haunted Savannah." Since Savannah is a city I'm including in my next book, I knew I had to watch this show as a little bit of research. (It's about investigators' stories of their investigations of haunted places in different parts of the country.) At one point, I was pointing at the screen and saying, "That house is in my book!" The haunted houses book, that is. Not saying which house, though; you'll have to read the book to find out! Bwa-haha!

They also did a part about the famous murder case involving Jim Williams, which was written about in the book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. My good friend, Peter Bowerman, suggested I read that book, and I'm glad he did! It's a good book and seeing them discuss the house and its "ghostly atmosphere" in the show was really interesting. Now I want to watch the movie!

I realized something today: I haven't had coffee for two days. Yikes! So I made myself a cup of French Vanilla Cafe and the world was right again. (haha) It's funny the things you realize you forget about when you're sick. Well, when you are sick, the world is just a haze and all the stuff you're used to, the routines and everything, just change. Everything is on hold. All you know is medicine, hot bath and sleep. That is, if your life is not so chaotic that you can have those things. As it is, I was able to just "zone out" for one whole day while my husband minded the fort. And it does a world of good, too. Better than no day to just sleep and take medicine at all.

Miraculously, I felt well enough to make dinner tonight. I made meatloaf, which is actually a family favorite. Jennifer kept going on about how she LOVES my meatloaf but she couldn't eat all of the meatloaf on her plate. I was just as pleased she ate any of it at all.

I am starting to feel a little better, despite the recurrent cough and runny nose. Still, I'm playing it safe. I told Jennifer we're not going to church tomorrow, because I don't want to risk getting anybody else sick. She was kinda disappointed but I assured her we'll go next week.

Thankfully, she is all better now. I guess grown-ups take longer to recover from colds/flu than children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are on the mend! My kids are 15 and 9 and the older one still steps in and tries to take over sometimes. This is a timeless condition, ha ha. But recently the younger one has been doing this too, so who knows. It might be I am just raising bossy girls who like to take over.
I love meatloaf! But have never had a good recipe for it. Maybe you could share yours????? : - D

Dawn Wilson said...

I think it's something I'll just have to get used to. Maybe they will find a way to work out how they play with toys. As to the meatloaf, I use Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Mix recipe. The one that's called "Souperior Meatloaf." I have tried several meatloaf recipes and this one is the family favorite. Have you tried it yet? Let me know how you like it!