Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Me, a first-time voter? Not this year

Today is Election Day!

Up until recently, I didn't care for politics. Oh, sure, I had my opinions and decisions about candidates and measures on the ballot, but I never made politics a big thing with me. I commented on one thing concerning a vice presidential candidate, but that's it. I felt that a person's decisions are their own private business and, even though I felt strongly on certain issues, I didn't try to tell people who or what to vote on. You know? It's their business.

But recently, I DID take an interest in politics. As Election Day grew closer and closer, I felt that I really SHOULD take advantage of my RIGHT to vote and get out there to vote! Besides, there were things I REALLY wanted to vote "no" on. Before, I would think, 'What good is it to vote? They'll just fix the results, anyway.' I also felt that MY vote wouldn't matter. That a yea or a nay from little ol' me won't make any difference.

But you know what? I'm beginning to think differently. I am beginning to think that every vote DOES count. That even if who I want to win doesn't win, it's not because I cast a vote. Maybe it's because I DIDN'T cast a vote. MY vote could've made the differemce. MY vote could've been a tie-breaker!

And, heck, women fought good and hard for us to have that right to vote! Let's not allow that fight to be in vain!

So I headed for the Election Office all charged up and ready to vote. Before I sat out, I took notes on everything to vote for and what I should vote "yes" or "no" on. Then I confidently went to the Election Office and excitedly stood in line, revelling in my VERY FIRST voting experience. Here I was, voting in an election for vthe VERY first time in my life! Me, a voter!

But I didn't get to vote. They ended up turning me away, because I wasn't registered. And I didn't know I HAD to be registered before the deadline 3 weeks ago in order to vote in this election. Nobody told me this. No news article reminded me of as much. No flyer came in the mail reminding all first-time voters to register to vote before a deadline. Nothing. Maybe it was something taught in middle grade, and of course I forgot about it. Maybe it was on someone's blog post or on a message board. Or maybe it was in the newspaper and I happened to miss reading that particular day's paper. Nevertheless, I...did not get the memo. I just didn't know, and so I couldn't vote.
And after I had to leave the Office, I was just so upset and disappointed. I just wanted to stand there in the pouring rain, thinking how unfair that was. And wondering why nobody ever told me about that.

They gave me a form to fill out for next year's election. Would've been nice if I could've voted in THIS election, though. Could you imagine, turning away someone who WANTS to vote? A potential voter? Good grief!

Well, we'll see what happens next year. At least now I know I have a deadline to keep my eyes peeled for.

2 comments:

Jana B said...

Oh, Dawn, that is horrible!!!!! Don't feel alone though... my husband couldn't vote this year either (not registered in his new county), and MANY other people have ran into this problem. Here in Indiana, they ask you if you want to register to vote when you switch your driver's license, but he hasn't done changed that yet either.

Just go ahead and send in the registration... it should be good until you move to a different voting district, so no worries until then.

And you TRIED to vote, so hey... that counts for something!!!!! (I love the respect you have for the women who gave us the right to vote... I'm reading a book about the women who wrote Nancy Drew books, and one of them was attending college during the suffrage movement... SO interesting!!!)

Dawn Wilson said...

Thanks, Jana. :) I read a similar book in college and I was really quite taken of what women went through during that time to fight for the right to vote. I hope your husband will get registered and get everything in order. I will DEFINITELY be able to vote next year. :D