Friday, November 21, 2008

Wolves in Oregon

Today I came across an article about how wolves are making a comeback in some parts of Oregon. According to the article, wolves were wiped out of the area in the 1940s. I've heard several claims that wolves have been seen in Oregon, but never actually saw any news stories about them. There is even a White Wolf Sanctuary in Tidewater.

I am a big lover of wolves and the reports of finding wolves shot or killed by accident are disturbing. It makes me wonder if the appearance of wolves means that more wolves will be threatened, hunted and even destroyed by wildlife officials.

There is one time I saw a wolf. Actually, two wolves. When we lived in the desert, my dad knew someone who had two domesticated wolves. I can't recall what kind of wolves they were but he kept them caged up in the yard. So on top of not being out in the wild, they were kept caged up all the time. Which is really sad. Jennifer and I were discussing this the other day. Both of us believe that wild animals belong in the wild. And as much as I love wolves, and other wild animals such as panthers and coyotes, I firmly believe that they should be left in the wild. I know there are people who say they have a certain way with wild animals to tame them. They can command the animal and do things to remind the animal of who is boss. But my opinion is, you can NEVER truly tame a wild animal. They are wild at heart and deserve to be free. They need to be in their elemant.

But sometimes I know that a wild animal is more open to being hunted and killed if they are out in the wild. The wolves coming into Oregon will see an Oregon that will be a lot different than what they used to know. And perhaps they will be unfamiliar with venturing into such an area so heavily populated and modernized. The wolves coming into Oregon face so many dangers and a very high risk of being hunted down. I only hope with all my heart that those with compassion for wolves will find a way to help them find sanctuary here.

No comments: