Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Two special days

Yesterday, Jennifer didn't have any school so I made "school lessons" for her. For art, she created a kite using paper and twigs. For reading, we read a couple of books. And since it was Veteran's Day, we talked about why it was important to remember our veterans and why there are soldiers. I asked her to write a story about why soldiers are important and she ended up writing a little book-length story, complete with illustrations. One part of it was really sad: A little boy crying when his daddy, a soldier, was saying goodbye when leaving for war. She was upset over this and I told her this is a part of the sacrifice the soldiers make to fight for all of us. It just really tugged at my heart, though.

Today is another special day, but just for the Wilson household: We are FINALLY getting cable! WOO-HOO!!! That's right, we have NOT had cable in the more than 2 years we have been living on West 11th. I was REALLY happy about it but Jennifer got soooo excited, she was jumping up and down cheering, "YAY!!!" Shec can't wait to FINALLY hear Hannah Montana sing. She's really been waiting for that one! She's also looking forward to watching her favorite TV shows again: Scooby Doo, SpongeBob, Pokemon. I'm just glad I'll be able to see the very last episode of ER. Sigh! We have missed so much! I have heard that Law & Order ended and I've been getting snippets of the new shows on TV. I'm curious about the new nanny shows and a show called Jon and Kate Plus 8. So I'm looking forward to watching TV shows again and being a part of the whole "TV-watching crowd" again. Up until then, we have been watching movies and TV series on DVD's.

And on that note: I really don't think I'll be watching many horror movies anymore. I used to love watching them because they were so scary and I just got a big adrenaline rush from getting scared. Plus, they enticed my imagination. But lately, a lot of the horror movies I have watched have been very disturbing. There have been scenes of rape and violence towards children. And a lot of them have babies or children being murdered, something I just CANNOT stand to see. I love children and don't want to see them being hurt. Seeing them being murdered, even little babies, gets me extremely upset. That is not why I am watching those movies. I don't want to SEE that! I don't want to see a man drowning an infant or a robot snapping the neck of a newborn human baby. That stuff is AWFUL!! And not scary at all. And I've just seen too much of it. Horror movies these days are more disturbing than scary. Even my nephew was sickened by something in a new horror movie he saw. So I just don't want to watch that many of them anymore.

Besides, I'm more addicted to the old black and white classic movies. :D

So today after the cable was all set up, I threw the "TV-watching rules" out the window for the day. I told Jennifer that in honor of the occasion, she was allowed to watch as much T.V. as she liked. Just for today, of course. Tomorrow, the normal T.V. time limitations would go back in force. So of course she devoured SpongeBob Squarepants, Pokemon, Sesame Street and Barnyard. She did a lot of channel surfing (she gets that from her father!) and checked out other channels. And, of course, she FINALLY got to see Hannah Montana. Yay!

We've been planning to get cable for some time. It just never happened. Then something happened with our server, we couldn't get Internet anymore so we signed up for the whole 9 yards with our cable company. Now Internet surfing is MUCH faster, Aaah. Now all I need to do is figure out just WHAT it will take to get my husband to FINALLY call a plumber so that we can get our washing machine fixed. Going to the laundromat all the time is just NO fun at all.

3 comments:

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Yay for cable!

Anonymous said...

That is exactly why I cant watch much horror movies anymore! Plus they raise my blood pressure...LOL

Hurray you are getting cable!

Dawn Wilson said...

Nancy: At least we can take pride that we "chicks" have our own genre when it comes to films. LOL :)

Yay!!