Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Working but not working out

Not too long ago, I had my weight checked at the doctor's office. It was 179 pounds. YIKES!! I was NOT happy about this weight and, even though my doctor didn't say anything about it, I vowed I'd try to lose some weight.

But not JUST lose weight: Get myself into shape.

I still want to incorporate a running program into my schedule, but I'm not yet able to run again as much as before. I also want to do weight training and learn how to swim. The problem is, I just don't know how to fit the former into my hectic schedule and I chickened out on signing up for classes this summer to accomplish the latter.

So, I tried something else: Change my diet and do an aerobic workout for AT LEAST 30 minutes every day. I figured if I got up early enough in the morning, I could do the workout, shower and get Jen ready for school. And for a while, that worked. I started noticing results and I was excited at the possibility of being able to run again (and I mean long-distance running). But then after that highlight, I soon got back to my old habits of being so obsessed with my writing work, that I work on it EVERY free minute I have. Then my diet started to suffer, too. Even though I wasn't eating a lot, the food I DID eat was not healthy.

Bad and bad!

I am trying to figure out how to bring the workout AND the healthy eating habits back into the picture. I know it's not like I'm a couch potato, or anything, but I'm REALLY unhappy with my figure. I also want physical fitness to be a permanent part of daily life, either as just me exercising or working out with my kids (going for bike rides, playing sports like basketball, or taking a class together). I know our weight doesn't exactly define how fit we are, how healthy we are or even how shapely we are, but I just want to be at an acceptable weight and have an acceptable figure.

But I don't know how to balance that with my devotion to my writing career.

Writing is a sedentary activity. It's easy to lose track of staying fit and eating healthy when you're a writer. I really, REALLY want to have the best of both worlds -- writing and physical fitness -- but I don't know how to accomplish this. I have thought that maybe I can make it a rule to write one time of the day and work out at another time of the day (and this would work well since I'm more productive at writing in the morning and more energetic to work out in the afternoons), so that's an idea I have been toying with. I also need to figure out how to fit it around the baby's nap schedule, as well, but that is not as big of a challenge as trying to keep my obsession with writing in control.

And if anything else, having the physical fitness routine worked into the daily schedule will be another way for me to avoid letting the writing obsession become an even bigger obsession. I want to make sure that writing isn't the only thing I do, and having other things going on OUTSIDE of writing is definitely worth the time to encourage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hear you on this, I'm trying to do that too, but its hard to get started and keep the program going. Once you do though the momentum will keep you going.
good luck to you (and me..) Your weight doesnt sound terrible, I am twenty pounds heavier and I didnt just have a baby!!! You just had a little baby, just remember it takes your body a while to get back where it was.

Dawn Wilson said...

Thank you. Yeah, I know. I have to give it some more time. I'm just sooo used to snapping back to my old self and recovering so quickly as I have before. But I do need to be more patient with my abilities and just listen to my body and not the scale. Good luck to you, too! :)