Wednesday, June 18, 2008

School's out!

Today was Jennifer's last day of kindergarten. Woo-hoo!! I have been anticipating this moment but, at the same time, I've been feeling a touch of sadness that her preschool AND kindergarten years are now history. My wittle baby's growing up. *sniff*

Jennifer had been sick with a fever the day before and I was worried she was once again going to have a high fever this morning and have to miss her last day. (On Tuesday morning, she'd crawled into my bed burning up with a 103 temperature. Eek! She was VERY sluggish and woozy.) But, thankfully, her temperature was not as high. It wasn't normal, but at least it was under 100. All the same, I gave her Children's Tylenol, just to be safe. She seemed to be feeling all right, though she was really sad that today was her last day of kindergarten. She LOVES her school, her classmates and her teacher. Oh, and the class dog, Bentley, too. She told me the other day she wished she could stay in kindergarten forever. (Heck, don't we ALL?? Haha.)

I dropped her off this morning, watching her walk with her friend into the school. And I was sitting there in the car, thinking, 'This is the last time I'll be watching her going into the school as a kindergartner.' Next year, she'll be with the "big kids" in first grade. No more fun and games. Sigh! They grow so fast.

Today all of the grades at the school had an early dismissal. In the morning, Jennifer had made it very clear to me that she wanted me to take pictures. So I took a couple. Here's a picture of the class coming out of the building following their early release (led by their teacher, Mrs. Gilliand):





And here is a picture of Jennifer with Mrs. Gilliand:






After I picked her up from school, we ran an errand then went to McDonald's and I treated her to an ice cream cone. Later in the day, we went through the contents of her backpack together, looking at all of the things she'd drawn and activity books she worked in. We talked about school and the things that she did. Through the school year, I'd seen what progress Jennifer has made with her reading, writing and arithmetic. Sometimes I felt bad she was doing SO well compared to how she did when I was homeschooling her for some of her preschool (yes, I was actually comparing my abilities to educate my child to a real school curriculum! LOL) but I was very pleased at just how wonderfully she has been doing and I'm grateful I enrolled her in such a good school. She really has come a long way in her learning. Her reading is good, her writing has improved and we've been working with her on the math. I really think her biggest accomplishment in kindergarten was learning how to read a whole book by herself. (Actually, she has now read two. Yay!) But there are so many other good accomplishments she has made and so many memories she will cherish.

We talked about her friends at school and if she'll be seeing them again next year. I had a good laugh when she told me a boy in her class had given her his phone number and she held up his number as proof. LOL! I guess you could say she's got a good start on moving on to bigger things in life.


3 comments:

Jana B said...

OMW she got a boys phone number already???????? WOW! What a girl!!!!!! *impressed*

Jeralee said...

They do grow up fast. And I agree, it's a great school. We are going to miss having the kids go to school there next year. I can only hope that their new school is just as good.

Dawn Wilson said...

I hope so, too, Jeralee. It's so hard to find a good school.

And, Jana, thanks! :) Yeah, I gotta agree. She is quite a girl!