Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Decisions, decisions

My wedding anniversary is coming up! It's this Friday but, because my husband has to work, we won't be able to celebrate it until Saturday. We are just going to exchange gifts and go out for dinner. Nothing all that glamorous or exciting. But I'm just as happy with the low-key stuff. It's a chance to go out to eat! Yay!

The problem is, I'm having a hard time figuring out where I want to go out to eat. I've thrown a few suggestions my husband's way but he can't decide, either.

Here are the usual suspects:

Ring of Fire

This restaurant is right across the street from us. You can imagine how tantalizing it must be to smell their delicious Thai food every day! LOL I've been tempted to run over there a time or two to grab dinner!

Golden Orient

I went here only once when I was out and about, having a break from the kids. (And I ended up dropping off some of their food at home on my way to the bookstore after I finished eating there.) This Chinese restaurant is very good. The service is excellent and their restaurant is clean and attractive.

Izzy's

This is a buffet and because I have a neice named Izabel, I'm tempted to pick this one. Hah! I once asked a lady who works at a local bank where I can get the best pizza. After some thought, Izzy's was her choice. But it's not just pizza they serve as a main course; they also have pasta, chicken and beef dishes. The first time I went to eat here, I got lost trying to find it. (Unfortunately, I have a knack for getting lost!) I was told to go in one direction looking for the street when actually it was in the OTHER direction. (And that right there is the story of how I ended up at Fern Ridge Lake, Katy. LOL) NOW I know how to get there and they DO have good food. Their food choices are small, but, hey! It's a buffet! All the more reason to walk back to your table with a full plate!

Applebee's

When I lived in the California desert, I used to go to the Applebee's in Rancho Mirage all the time. So you can imagine my joy when they FINALLY opened an Applebee's in my neighborhood. WOO-HOO!! I love eating at Applebee's. Their food is just so different and tasty. The restaurant has a fun atmosphere (though not as fun as TGI Friday's) and reasonable prices. I have YET to eat at the new Applebee's here, though, so I can't really say if the service is pleasant. Still, memories of eating their offerings has me ready to run right over there ASAP and check 'em out. Though not sure if for my anniversary.

The Mission

For two years in a row, I went here for my birthday. They are, IMO, the best Mexican restaurant in Eugene. Though I'll admit I haven't eaten at too many Mexican restaurants to make a fair comparison. ;) But I really love eating here and not just because it's one of those "dressed up" Mexican restaurants (complete with colorful chairs). Their food is to die for and it's always hard from me to pick something from their menu. If you are ever in Eugene, do eat here if you can!

So those are the usual choices to select from when it comes to going out to eat. My husband likes to eat at the Kam Loon Restaurant and I have been meaning to pay a visit at the Jade Palace Chinese Restaurant. There are also a couple of other places we have enjoyed dining at: Sweet Basil Thai Cuisine and the Lotus Garden Vegetarian Restaurant.

As I paged through the phone book, looking at all of the other places to have dinner at, all these restaurants we haven't tried yet, I'm tempted to try something different. Something we haven't tried before. Some place we haven't dined at yet.

Maybe it isn't so terrible to try some place new for a special occasion. The usual suspects are definitely good to have in mind to pick from when it comes to picking a place to eat, but this is our first "second marriage" anniversary. Might as well mark the occasion by trying to have dinner at some place new.

Now all I need to do is pick one!

4 comments:

Jana B said...

Mmmm...this post made me SO HUNGRY!!

Applebees here is GREAT but the service was not that great... but heck, their steak and potatoes are WORTH IT!!!!!

We are big fans of Mexican food too... SO TASTY!!!!!

Dawn Wilson said...

I agree! And we've decided to go to Applebee's for the big day. Woot!

I really think good service is an important part of enjoying the dining experience. It just really helps the customer feel more relaxed and able to focus on what they are eating. I once ate at a restaurant where the waitress was VERY rude to me -- didn't smile, acted all stiff, did not touch me or gesture in any way at all -- while she was soo friendly with my husband, had her hands all over him, treated him nicely and paid attention to him. I have since then never again set foot in that restaurant. If the service is rude, I'm not paying for their food!

Jeralee said...

MMM.... food. Bypass Izzy's for a nice romantic dinner. It's a buffet. It's not romantic. LOL

Some other places your should try in town. The Vintage has good fondue. Both cheese and chocolate.

Sweet Basil I like as well. Mekala's has good Pad Thai noodles.

If you are feeling really rich sometime, get reservations and got to Willie's on 7th. They have some of the best Filet Mignon I have ever had.

For Chinese, we actually really like Lok Yaun there next to staples. Food is good, portions are good.

You should swing by Sweet Life for dessert when you are done. ;-)

Now I need to go eat something, I'm hungry.

Hope your anniversary is more eventful than ours. LOL

Dawn Wilson said...

LOL Thanks! Oh, gosh, I LOVE Sweet Life!! They have very tasty and tempting treats. My daughter and I both tried their delicacies. I'll definitely keep a note about Willie's. And we're having a hard time finding a babysitter for our oldest, so it's not looking too good on being a "romantic" evening, anyway. :/