Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Thanks, Borders

I realize that what happened at Borders was not a situation most job-training programs prepare you for. I also realize it was a situation that could have been prevented, on my part. But the fact remains that I still ended up going to Borders when I should have rested that day. And I ended up suffering a serious side-effect relating to my earlier donating visit in the day.

It also must be noted that the employees of the Borders Books and Music store, on Coburg Road in Eugene, Oregon, in the Oakway Shopping Center, acted with a strong degree of professionalism and kindness.

That last part is what stands out in my memory the most. Kindness. Not only did the employees and manager act as professionals during my personal medical emergency, but they were also kind and patient with me, a deaf customer. With every moment that they assisted me during this episode, not once did they show fear, frustration, impatience or distrust. They did not accuse me of making a scene or rushed to hide me away from the other customers obviously witnessing this unusual episode in their store. The fellow customers who likewise assisted me will never be forgotten.

Every single person in that bookstore who helped me on that evening of Saturday, October 7th, holds a special place in my heart and in my memory. I remember every face. And I am extremely grateful to each and every one.

Thank you, Borders bookstore employees, for assisting me in my time of helplessness and distress. Thank you for helping me and accommodating me to the best of your abilities.

Thank you, also, to the two other customers who helped me. Who wrote on the paper their questions and asked if I was okay. Believe it or not, the man who was touching my right shoulder helped, too. That very action was helpful to me, in regaining my awareness.

Thanks to all who helped me on that day. Perhaps I had not been in the wrong to go to Borders, after all. Perhaps going there wasn't such a big mistake, because there were angels in disguise ready and willing to help.

No comments: