Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas 2014

Yesterday was Christmas and I didn’t blog about it then but I can blog about it now. The reason why I didn’t blog about it is actually two things: I spent a majority of the day on my feet and doing stuff (except for the occasional rest) and also, I spent that day with my children. I did want to blog about Christmas yesterday, but I was not able to do so because the computer was unavailable. And I’m totally fine with that! I enjoyed my time with the children. It was good to spend the day NOT on the computer and with my family. (Though I did use my smartphone to share pictures on Facebook! Had to get those pictures out there while it was still Christmas. Actually, it was after 11 p.m. when I did that!)

We had such an awesome Christmas this year. It was just perfect. I was sad because I thought about our dog, who we were having our first Christmas without (we did go out to his grave to wish him a Merry Christmas), and some other people who were gone. My mom and others. I did light a candle for all of them, but I was still a bit sad because I missed them all.

But it was still a beautiful day.

The day started at 7:30 for me. I actually woke up at 5:30 and spent 2 hours trying to go back to sleep, but I was just too excited about the day and got up at 7:30. I took a bunch of “before” pictures and tidied up the house. I also made coffee – and enjoyed a first cup of it before everybody woke up. I also spent time texting family and friends to wish them all a Merry Christmas. Then I made breakfast: Cinnamon rolls, eggs and bacon. I think the smell of bacon woke up Jesse, because after I was done cooking, I found him walking through the hallway. When he saw me, he smiled and lifted his arms and said, “Merry Christmas!” It was sooooo cute. We woke up the others and Christmas officially began. Jennifer played Santa this year and we were excited by our gifts.

And we got some awesome gifts, too! Jennifer was thrilled to get some items on her Christmas list – Doctor Who stuff (a DVD of Season 7 as well as the Fourth Doctor scarf) and the novel Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – and Jesse was happy to get stuff on his list too – like the Pajanimals and a VERY LARGE stuffed snake.

I also got some things from my list, too – as well as some other stuff!

Here is what I got for Christmas:

Movies (X-Men First Class, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Insidious 2 and A Christmas Carol)
New purse
2 gift cards to the bookstore (I’m going book shopping! Woo-hoo!!!)
Starbucks gift card (Thank you, Kathy!)
New poetry book
Large candle
Snow globe with a snowman in it
New book (Thank you, Millie and Allison!)
Ginormous box of chocolates
Collage picture frame
Family collage that Jen made (I LOVED it!)
Chocolate bar

But the BIG thing we got for Christmas? A new computer!! YAY!!! We were all excited and happy about it. (Well, hubby knew about it all this time because he built it, but he was pleased at how well it worked.) I am so glad we have a new computer now. I am not using it YET – I still have to transfer all my files to it – but will definitely start using it soon. It has updated software on it as well as other spiffy new things I am going to have to learn how to use. It will definitely make my researching and publishing efforts a lot easier! No more crashes, no more freezing up and no more problems getting things to work. At least, I hope not! Jesse will be happy he can play games on it again and NOW I can sign him up for some educational sites.

One of our friends came by on her way out of town and we exchanged gifts. It was nice to see them! Hubby also went with Jennifer to another friend’s house and took him cookies; he sent back a plate of homemade cookies, fudge and peppermint bark! That was awesome! (And very yummy!)

We also watched a bunch of Christmas movies throughout the day. Well, they were on the TV and we pretty much grabbed them in bits and pieces as we went about the house. One of the movies we had on was The Munster’s Scary Little Christmas. It was good without being cheesy. We also watched Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever. Jesse LOVES Grumpy Cat and he enjoyed watching this movie. He thought it was awesome.

We had a ham dinner for Christmas, just like every year. The ham was delicious! We also had mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, carrots and dinner rolls. It was quite a feast! And for dessert, I made a chocolate cake.

Our Christmas this year was amazing and we were all really happy. I am so glad it went well. I am also glad I did the things this month that really showed the spirit of Christmas, like giving and helping others. When we watched the movie A Christmas Carol, the part where Scrooge said he would keep Christmas all year really made me think. If only more people thought to show the spirit of Christmas -- kindness, forgiveness, generosity and compassion – all through the year, and not just in December. Maybe that’s a thing to try for in 2015. With all the chaos, protests and murders going on in this world right now, especially during this month, let’s try to show the spirit of Christmas throughout the year for next year.

I also liked the part where Marley’s ghost said, “Mankind was my business!” This is very true. Sometimes we forget just what kind of impression we leave in this world because we get caught up with ideas like “business is business” so we treat people cruelly (and lose THEIR business!) or we get caught up in vanity and forget to judge a person for their heart or their character or their deeds instead of their looks or lifestyle or their money. Or, like Scrooge, we get caught up in wealth, or the pursuit of wealth, and lose friends, people we love and/or the REAL things and experiences that no amount of money in the world could ever bring.

Yes, that movie certainly has a lot of important messages more people should take heed to.

I am also glad I did the Christmas Cookie Run this year. Last year, I just could not do it. I had an emotional breakdown because I missed my mom so much and just cried for days. I was not up for it last year. But this year, I think my mother would have wanted me to do it. Mom would have approved. And I think in some way, she’s happy that I did that this year. I certainly missed those who were no longer with us, but I think they were there in spirit. And I certainly hoped their spirit was even more at peace knowing that we had such a wonderful day.

It was probably the best Christmas ever.

No comments: