Saturday, May 31, 2014

For once, I wasn't late!

People who know me know one thing that’s very true about me: I am always late. Late for class, late for an appointment or late picking someone up. I’m either late or I’m running late. Sometimes I manage to get to certain places just in time, but sometimes not. I’m usually late when I pick Jennifer up from school, as well as the little girl I occasionally babysit.

In fact, this morning, when I was dropping her off at school, I told Jen today was Early Release so I’d pick her up at around that time. Then, remembering I’m usually late, I threw in an “ish.”

She made a face, squeezed her fist as though in a fight, and said in what LOOKED like a growling voice, “Be on time!”

I squirmed in my seat and said, “Okay! You don’t HAVE to get all Exorcist on me about it!”

After I got Jesse off to school on his bus later on (which I arrived EARLY for – YES!), I realized I only had 55 minutes of free time before Jennifer got out of school. So I just ran some errands instead of TRYING to get some work done on the books, because I REALLY would have liked to have a whole hour to do the stuff I had to do. I didn’t HAVE an hour so I took care of some other things.

Then after that, I went to Jen’s school and sat in the car in the parking lot, drinking my coffee. After the coffee was gone, I started organizing things in the car. (Been too busy all week to clean up the mess the kids made in the backseat!) After that, I noticed more parents were arriving to pick up their kids, so I decided to head on in to see if school was out yet. (I don’t have a watch and my phone was not working at that time so I had no idea what time it was.) After I went inside the school, I made small talk with one of the secretaries then realized that school had JUST let out so I went looking for Jennifer. When I found her, I was all like, “I’m on time!”

I was also on time picking up the little girl, who also had Early Release today (an hour later!). In fact, I got there EARLY. (I got there early for Early Release. Hah!)

An hour AFTER that, it was Jesse’s turn to be dismissed from school (no Early Release for him today – how weird if it was Early Release at 3 different schools on the same day!). I arrived at his bus stop to pick him up – EARLY! Woo-hoo!

I was early three times today! EARLY, not late! That was pretty awesome. Don’t think that miracle will happen again anytime soon, though. But it was nice that it did.

No comments: