Wednesday, February 05, 2014

A new direction

For a few months now, I have been babysitting for a friend. Part of this job requires some training in childcare. After I looked over what I had to go through and read about certain requirements, I decided that if I am going to go through with this, I’m going to go all the way. And that’s going to mean a new line of work for me in the future.

I have to take some classes in order to receive certification and become a registered childcare provider. After I take all these classes and complete the training, I will become a Certified Childcare Provider.

Wow. You would think it was just a simple babysitting job! But, ya know, I’m starting to think maybe this is a good thing. Maybe this is the new path I must take in life.

For a long time, I have not been happy with the mediocre success my writing life has achieved. Of course I wanted to go higher and achieve more, but after 20 years as a working writer, that has NOT happened. I mean, I have to face facts: I will not reach the goal I want to achieve as a freelance writer, an author or even a poet. (I do still want to go into scriptwriting someday, but the time is not right.) So maybe I will have better success with another job, even if it’s in childcare.

Admittedly, I am nervous about going into this line of work, because I am deaf and have burn scars and I KNOW how kids can be with those kinds of things. But the child I am babysitting has been truly amazing and she has actually taken on my being deaf as an opportunity to learn sign language so we can communicate better. Believe me, she’s an awesome kid. And that gives me hope. Maybe other children will be that accepting, as well.

So, yes, I’m going to take all the required classes, become a CCP and become registered with the state to be a licensed childcare provider. In fact, I took the first class today. It went so well, I am ready to take the others, too!

We’ll see where this new journey will lead me. 

No comments: