Monday, May 21, 2012

Reading Writer Mama

The other day, we were all at the Eugene Public Library (it was “library day” for us). While I was browsing through the many writing books on the shelves, I came across a book with a title I recognized: Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids. I used to be on MySpace and I had “met” the author, Christina Katz, on there. Though we never really forged much of a connection, we did chat briefly, and I made it a point to check out her book someday. I never forgot the title – or the cover, for that matter – so I was pleased to see it in the library. Of course, I grabbed the book to check it out.

Today, I finally had the chance to look over the book some more. Nope, I didn’t do this at the library. I just saw the book and checked it out right then and there. Now, however, I went through this book to see what it was all about. Was it similar to my own book for writing parents?

Unfortunately, I was disappointed. It turns out that it is a book for freelance writers, something that I am not anymore. (I am way too busy with multiple book projects and book reviews to take on freelance writing, or any other writing work.) So I figured the book probably won’t be of much help to me. Might as well return it to the library, then.

Well, that’s what I thought.

After I got Jennifer off to school, I started driving to the library with the intention of returning the book. However, on my way there, I got a feeling that I should not return the book!

I looked at this little book sitting on my passenger seat. There was something about it that had me rethinking its usefulness. Maybe it still had something good to offer. Something helpful, something inspiring.

Maybe I should try reading it instead.

I changed direction and drove back home. Yes, I would give this book a try. I’ll read it just to see for myself if it could still be helpful or not. It was a book for writing parents, after all. And that’s me! I’m a writing parent!

So as Jesse sat eating his breakfast this morning, I sat at the table with him and started reading. And you know what? I had a hard time trying to STOP reading that book! Sure, I occasionally looked up to make sure Jesse was okay and didn’t choke on his food, but for the most part, my eyes were glued to the book. I even carried it around with me and stole occasional glances at the pages as I helped Jesse get ready to go to preschool. I was able to read two chapters by the time he was ready to leave for preschool – and I plan on reading a lot more of this book tomorrow.

It IS a good book. It’s not just a book for freelance writers or writing parents. It’s a book every writer could benefit from. It talks about how to get ideas, how to find your audience and taking the leap to get started with the writing. It was definitely helpful stuff to read, GOOD stuff to read, and I’m glad I gave this book a second chance. It’s definitely a book I am going to keep reading.

No comments: