Sunday, May 25, 2008

The happy list

It's time for the happy list! Which is longer than the unhappy list. And that's a good thing! Yay!

1. I'm happy because I have my children. I love them and cherish them very much. They are number one!

2. I'm happy because I have my health. (No illnesses, diseases, genetic imperfections, etc.)

3. I'm happy that I have turned my life to God. That God has fully entered my heart and that I follow Him. I would NEVER go back to the kind of person that I was before!

4. I'm happy because today is my birthday. Yay!!

5. I'm happy because I have a better understanding of things now. I'm not so blinded or mislead. I see things for what they are. Like how people talk to me and the way my marriage is. (I don't know what's going to happen there. I just don't like being in a marriage where there is not complete love and complete trust. We will see what happens.)

6. I'm happy because of the accident I was in that left me burned. Even though I don't look very pretty because of my burn scars and even though I've had some bully experiences in the past and bad looks from people, I am still grateful for it, because it has helped me to value life more and to appreciate the way people are on the inside and not on the outside. What's on the inside REALLY does count! It has made me care about what REALLY is important in life. That whole accident AND the meningitis have made me appreciate life even more.

7. I'm happy because I have good friends in this life, even though they all do not live in the same city that I do. Friends like Allison, Jimmy, Jeremy, Mark, Gizelle, Michelle, Kay, Shannon, Mack ("Smacky"), July ("Jules"), Susie, Jane and Chris. Almost all of them live far away but in my heart, they all live close. I love and cherish them and our friendship lasts forever! I am also grateful for my online friends -- there are too many to list! (You guys know who you are. Love ya!!!)

8. I'm happy -- blessed -- to know certain people in this life. The VERY TALENTED Dr. A. Richard Grossman, the musicians the Grynch Guys, the singer Brandon and the authors Jenna Glatzer, Frank Baron, Raymond K. Wong, Liam Jackson, Shaunna Privratsky, Angela Hoy and Martha Jette. They are all not just acquaintances, they are also my friends. And some of them are my good friends who I love and appreciate!!

9. I am happy that I have been able to experience living in different parts of this country. As a kid, it was hard leaving friends and changing schools and moving to a different house all of the time, but I am grateful for those experiences because I got to see what different parts of the U.S. are like.

10. I'm happy because I have friends who understand that I like to be silly sometimes, goof off, play pranks and say silly things and they don't point fingers and say "you need to grow up!" or "you're such a child." They understand that I like to be silly sometimes, act like a kid sometimes, because we ALL need to have those funny moments and be silly every once in a while. We all need to LAUGH sometimes!

11. I'm happy because I am able to read. Literacy really is a gift.

12. I'm happy because I have the gift to write.

13. I'm happy because I finally understood that whole "dream experience" and FINALLY saw it for what it really was. And that I have moved past ALL of that.

14. I'm happy because there are people I know who understand that I'm not trying to make any enemies in this life. They understand that I get confused, that I say things that don't come out right, that sometimes I make mistakes, that sometimes I don't understand things right, that I don't really know if I am making a mistake and that I have failed. These people understand that I goof or that I said things wrong and they forgive me. They know I'm not trying to hurt anyone, that I'm not the kind of person with "ulterior motives" or trying to manipulate anyone. I am SO GRATEFUL for these people.

15. I'm happy because despite my family's imperfections and past troubles, they are still my family! I am grateful for all of them and I love all of them. We are able to look past all the past fights, quibbles, grudges, etc., and still be there for each other. (Life is too short to hold grudges!)

16. I'm happy for the bad things that have happened in life. They were ALL learning experiences. Even the stuff with my dad. They have also helped me to be a stronger person for facing the obstacles, moving past things and being tested by them.

17. I'm happy that I am able to turn to God in my times of need. Prayer is 24/7! And sometimes, things from the past tug at my heart or I'll have a nightmare or I'll get sad about things, and I know I can just get on my knees, fold my hands together, and unload all of my pain to God. He really listens! (This is especially a blessing since there's not always someone for me to talk to when I really need that someone to talk to.)

18. I'm happy because I don't smoke and I'm drug-free!

19. I'm happy because I'm the kind of person who values having a clean house and being a good parent for my children.

20. I'm happy that I accept myself despite my own imperfections. I know that some parts of myself (my vision, figure) can be improved and they will improve in time. I am happy with myself the way I am right now.

21. I'm happy because I am finally trying to make my dreams come true! I no longer resign myself to feeling that nothing is possible, that nothing will ever happen. Anything is possible!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great List! It inspires me to make my own lists! When I have time. Which would lead to the number 1 item on both my lists: I am unhappy that I dont have enough time for all I want to do. And I am happy that my life is so filled and busy that I dont have time to think about unhappiness...LOL

Dawn Wilson said...

I totally agree. It's good to stay busy! Thank you. :)

Jana B said...

I'm sorry that there isn't complete trust in your marriage... that is so important.

Regarding the burns... it is AMAZING how the things that almost destroy us (in your case, burns; in my case, abuse) really make us the person we are, giving us us depth and compassion...

Friends who give you space to be silly rock! LOL

Friends who are patient and forgiving rock even more.

Anything IS possible!!! *excited to see how your life will change as you remember that*

Dawn Wilson said...

Jana, I am so sorry! I didn't see this until now. My goodness. I just noticed how popular this blog post is. It did my heart good to read it again. Some of those friends are gone now, but most others are still in my life. Yes, it is amazing how things that are supposed to destroy us can actually empower us! I recently saw an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation with a deaf character who learned to turn a disadvantage into an advantage. That's a good thing to do in life! Yeah, I've had a lot of bad things happen to me and a lot of people being cruel or violent to me, but the way I see it, I am still breathing! :) And my marriage is stronger now, with complete trust! I'm sorry about what you went through in the past but I hope you too have grown stronger from it. Take care!