Thursday, May 15, 2008

God answers prayers!

Last night, I kept feeling nervous about attending the barbecue at my daughter's school today. I didn't have my voice! At first, I thought I'd just wing it. Maybe have Jennifer act as my "voice" to talk with people. But what if I was in a situation where I HAD to talk?? It was just really bothering me.

So last night I said a prayer. I prayed that my voice would come back. I felt a little selfish, asking for something for ME in prayer. And also, I figured God already KNEW I wanted my voice to come back, namely by tomorrow. He already KNEW this! So why even ask?? But something told me I should just ask, anyway. Just tell God what it was that I desperately needed. I NEEDED my voice back!

Soon after my prayer, as I was trying to relax and go to sleep, I was suddenly struck with a coughing fit. it was a VERY STRONG coughing fit! I was coughing my head off! I got out of bed and hurried out of my room, because I didn't want to wake up the baby. In the living room, I just coughed and coughed. Then phlegm started coming up. Yuck!! And there was a lot of it, too. I kept going back and forth from the living room to the bathroom because I kept coughing up so much phlegm. At one point, after I spit some phlegm into the bathroom sink, I said, "Eww, that's gross."

Then I realized something: I was able to talk!! I HAD USED MY VOICE!!! I actually felt my voice as I spoke those words!! WOO-HOO!!!!!
The coughing fit wasn't over yet, though. I was still coughing and coughing. Still getting all of that phlegm out of there. And in between all that coughing, I kept testing to see if I could still talk. And I could! I didn't know what to do about the nonstop coughing, though. I kept wondering if I'd be coughing my head off all night! I knew I shouldn't take a cough suppresant, because of the phlegm coming up. So I texted hubby to ask him what I should do. He said to just lie completely flat on the couch until the coughing stops.

Eventually, after the coughing started dying down, I lied flat on the couch to rest. My throat started to tingle and feel a little scratchy. I still kept testing my voice to see if it was still there. I even recited the lyrics to the song "Major Tom" (the one by Peter Schilling). Everything was fine. My voice was not as strong as normal, but it was still a voice! I COULD SPEAK!
I still kept praying, though. I lied there on the couch, my hands on my chest, saying, "Please, Lord. Heal me." Then I eventually went to bed.
This morning when I woke up, my voice was a little stronger. Woo-hoo! And after I dropped Jennifer off at school, I went to the store to get some first aid for my ailing throat. I was going to get Celestial Seasonings Throat Soothers tea (it is GOOD STUFF!!) but they didn't have it. I started reading the ingredients of the other herbal teas until I decided that the Celestial Seasonings Honey-Lemon Ginseng Green Tea was the next best thing. I had a cup of that tea with my breakfast. By the time the barbecue at the school rolled around, I was talking a little more better and without any pain or itchiness in my throat. I DID have trouble with the reading part in the classroom after we all ate, mostly because I still have a cold and my nose was bothering me, but I was still able to talk pretty good.

And even now, I'm still talking pretty good! Even better, in fact!

PRAISE THE LORD! My prayer was answered!! I am once again verbal! God is good!

3 comments:

Jana B said...

Wooo hooooo!!!! Awesome to see how God answered your prayer. :)

I HATE loosing my voice... I feel like I have a MILLION things to say, and no way to get them out into the world!!!!!

Jeralee said...

I completely spaced the barbecue. So much going on that I spaced it. I felt a bit bad when one of the kids in the class mentioned it when I went to pick up Charlise. My kids were a bit disappointed about it, but I told them I would eat lunch with them in the cafeteria one time before the end of the school year.

I am glad you were able to get your voice back! There has been lots of crud going around. Do you by chance have seasonal allergies? It is that time of year.

Dawn Wilson said...

Thanks, Jana. :) Yeah, it's really frustrating to lose the voice. I know we can write things down or blog them, but it's not the same.

Jeralee, you've had A LOT going on these days, so don't feel too bad about missing it. Still, it's good you'll be able to pencil in a lunch with them before school lets out for the summer. No, I don't have seasonal allergies. I'm starting to wonder if stuff like that causes a person to lose their voice.