Thursday, April 03, 2008

Home sick

On Tuesday night, Jen and I were doing something we normally do before she goes to bed: Having story time. Unlike the many other story times, though, this time, she wasn’t feeling so great and she couldn’t finish reading a whole book. The whole day, she’d been complaining of a tummyache, runny nose, headache, watery eyes and she’d been coughing and sneezing. She told me she felt too sick to eat much of her lunch at school. Even though I fed her chicken noodle soup at dinnertime and gave her Children’s Tylenol Multi-Symptom, by bedtime, she still felt just awful.

I emailed my husband, who was at work, and told him what was going on and my concerns over her being sick. He said we’ll use a "wait and see" approach about whether Jennifer should go to school the next day or not.

Yesterday morning, I woke up a little later than usual. (I was up late last night, writing.) Inwardly, I hoped Jennifer was feeling better but I knew chances weren’t too good she was. She actually was burning up with a fever so I decided to keep her home from school. Yesterday was library day at her school and she loves library day, but I just didn’t feel good about sending her to school with a fever. And they DID tell me, "If she is sick, she should be at home."

Most of her day was spent taking medicine (watching out that she doesn’t take TOO MUCH medicine) and sleeping in bed. Of course, I’m making sure she washes her hands BEFORE touching the baby, not kissing his mouth, etc. She’s sad she can’t snuggle with her little brother so much. I just hope she’ll be better soon.

At least she is feeling much better today.

4 comments:

Jeralee said...

Sorry she isn't feeling well. There is some really nasty stuff going around. My oldest daughter has had influenza. Has really wiped her out.

Hope Jennifer gets better quickly!

Anonymous said...

Aww poor Jen. I hope she feel better soon. Rest is best for her so that's good she's getting plenty of rest. I always keep family in mind when I wish for good health, I'll send extra her way. :)

Jana B said...

Awww... poor kiddo!!! Sick days will be funner when both kids are a little older... my mom & I would always work a jigsaw puzzle when we were sick. It helped a bunch! :)

You'll find your own fun sick-day traditions... things your kids will remember forever.

Dawn Wilson said...

Thanks so much! She is MUCH better now. But the baby is the one who is sick now. Thanks for thje good thoughts, though. They helped! Well, that plus chicken noodle plus rest plus vitamin c plus water. :)

Jeralee, I'm sorry your oldest was so ill. Hopefully she's all better by now.