Monday, July 23, 2007

Is it hot in here or is it just my pregnancy?

I don't like putting blame on others or other reasons that are not the REAL reasons, but lately I've noticed a few things going down that have to make me wonder if it's got something to do with the fact that I am nearly 6 months pregnant.

This morning is a perfect example of just such a suspicion. My husband made a few insensitive remarks to me (after doing a couple of insensitive things!) and, after it was over, I just burst into tears. There I sat at the desk, crying like a baby. Now ordinarily, I don't let stuff like that get to me. It has been a LOOONG time since I've cried! But this morning, the tears just came pouring out. And I'm thinking my hormones and sensitivity level being so low is the reason why I broke up over it. (Well, either that or it's because I don't cry very often and I was making up for it!)

Exhaustion is ANOTHER grievance I've been dealing with. I have been SOO TIRED so many times! It drives me crazy. I wish I could have caffeine; I'd be hooked up to the stuff 24/7 just to stay awake! I've been trying natural remedies for increased energy and to beat the sleepiness, but so far no luck.

There's also the fact that I've been SO HOT lately! Never mind that it is summer and we're having YET ANOTHER heat wave this year. I lived in the desert before moving to Eugene and got used to dealing with HIGH humidity and 115-degree heat. (In fact, during my first pregnancy in just that desert, I once had both heat exhaustion AND heat stroke.) Here, it hasn't been more than 90 degrees, but to me, it might as well be 100! Or even 115. It's no secret pregnant women are hotter than most people. To make things worse, we have NO air conditioning, NO swimming pool and I have very little "light" clothing I can wear that fit comfortably. (I am HOPING I can get some maternity shorts or short skirts to wear VERY SOON.)

Which is why I'm beginning to SERIOUSLY ponder cutting my hair. I love having long hair, I really do, but since I hate having my hair up in a bun so much (ditto ponytails), I really think getting it cut would be best. I don't care if I end up looking boyish with short hair; I just want to be comfortable!

A lot of people are telling me they can't imagine how I am getting through this summer being pregnant. At first, I didn't pay it much mind. I just shrugged it off and said, "I sit in front of the fan a lot and drink A LOT of cold water." Well, those things have helped, but only for so long. I've also been taking cool baths to cool off. But now I'm definitely considering cutting my hair, too. That will definitely help me to stay cool, as well.

I know I've been through worse heat than this. But sometimes it feels like the heat is much more worse than it actually IS. And maybe I have the fact that I am pregnant to thank for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I really can't imagine being pregnant and in the midst of a heat wave. I couldn't handle our week long heatwave just being little ole me! Like you, I love having long hair. I cut it when it gets too heavy though. Lately I've taken to having it just below the shoulders. Logn enough to put up but not so long that it's always in the way. If you don't do anything dramatic, I say go for it! It's just hair it will grow back. Or maybe you're feeling extra brave and want to try something really new. Like I said, it's just hair. I didn't think I'd like having my hair this short, but it's still long and yet not as long and heavy. Much more comfy.

Dawn Wilson said...

Thanks for the comment! I am thinking of getting it ALL cut. Not shaved off, of course, but going for short, short hair. Like a boyish cut. I know hair takes forever to grow back but I'm really not liking having it in a bun or a ponytail so much. It's either deal with this heat or deal with having short hair. :(