Monday, July 09, 2007

Fantasy vs. reality

Yeah, I had one of those days today....

The fantasy:

My child and I will climb into the car and be on our merry way to run errands.

The reality:

Child gets distracted by picking up seeds off the ground and it takes LOTS of coaxing, distracting and, finally, badgering to get her into the car.

The fantasy:

We are now in our car and can finally, FINALLY be on our merry way.

The reality:

Just before starting the car, I remember the new law about every child under 8 required to ride in a booster seat in the car so FIRST I must unlock car doors, get out of the car, get child's old booster seat out of the back of the car, remove cobwebs from said booster seat and do a spider inspection inside and out, get child out of car, put booster seat in child's seat, ONCE AGAIN coax and plead with child to get back into the car, then struggle with the darn seatbelt refusing to budge so I can buckle child in. THEN we can finally be on our merry way.

The fantasy:

We will do ALL of our errands in one full swoop.

The reality:

Forgot the checkbook so I must run back home to pick it up before we get groceries. (During which time we grab a late lunch, child undresses and declares she's feeling sick, I have to help child feel better, then try to get her dressed and back into the car again.)

The fantasy:

I will take care of something ELSE I have to do while at the bank.

The reality:

Forgot to bring something needed for that something else, so it will again have to wait.

The fantasy:

Child will calmly sit in the seating area, eating her cookie and being a good girl while she waits for Mommy to do her bank stuff.

The reality:

Child happens to have the nickname "Tornado." By the time Mommy finds her after taking care of said bank stuff, she's on the other side of the bank, raiding the snack bar -- in a room with "STAFF ONLY" on the door.

The fantasy:

I will blissfully spend an hour writing while child is at Playland.

The reality:

I end up spending said free hour being distracted by looking at baby clothes, baby books and
other baby stuff.

The fantasy:

I ask some people I know where a good place is to buy a crib and anticipate getting good
recommendations.

The reality:

They all tell me to get one from Goodwill.

But on the plus side, I did manage to get some writing done. :D

2 comments:

Jana B said...

Whew... you call her the Tornado??? hahahaha that is too cute.

Sounds like a VERY LONG DAY!

Dawn Wilson said...

Thanks, Jana. Yeah, it WAS a long day. I was happy to take a break the next day and not go ANYWHERE. But now my car needs work and my feet hurt too much to walk after a looong walk yesterday -- and I'm SO RESTLESS! Eek! And my friends gave her the "Tornado" nickname. It sort of stuck. :)