Saturday, March 10, 2007

Sleeping with the enemy

There are two new things going on in my life right now. One thing is something that's been going on for some time, but I was too nervous to tell certain people about it. These "certain people" were my family. I figured this kind of news would not be welcome to them, and for over a month, I languished over how I would share it. What would I say? How would I say it? And should I wait until I see them on the 17th to tell them?

These are questions I agonized over. I wanted to tell my friends, of course, but I had to tell my family first. They had to know first.

I finally decided to just wait until I see them on the 17th to tell them. But then something else and something bigger than that happened, and that sort of changed things. (Isn't it just like life?? We can never plan anything.) So I talked to the other person involved and eventually decided I should call my mom and tell her. I also told my sister and a nephew as we chatted online yesterday.

But my nephew, being so keen, ended up guessing the SECOND news. Without even realizing he was guessing it! That is the news I wanted to tell everyone in person. But I guess that won't be happening now. See, we can't plan these things!

The first news is this: My ex-husband and I have reconciled. We have not remarried, but we are giving things another go. I had to defend myself before I told each person and it turned out I didn't have to. My mom was just thrilled for me. My sister and nephew were surprised. Both of them said this kind of thing was definitely unexpected, and I empathized there. I never thought it would happen, but it has. My husband and I are back together. I don't refer to him as my EX-husband anymore, either. It's kind of strange calling him my "husband" again, but there it is. My daughter has her family back.

And let me just say, for the record, EVERYTHING IS FINE. I'm not sad or depressed. I'm not drinking, dealing with low self-esteem issues or crying myself to sleep, or anything. I'm happy! My husband is happy, and so is our daughter. He is VERY good to us, we are communicating 100% and all is well. Really. We're FINE. I still think the two of us should see a marriage counselor, and I'm not exactly ready to remarry him at this point in time. But for now, at least, things are good.

Which is a good thing, because of the second news my nephew ended up guessing: I'm pregnant. And happy about that, too.

No comments: