Saturday, March 03, 2007

I ain't afraid of no ghost

Last night, I was told an interesting story. I was talking with
someone on how some people see things they can't understand or
explain and right away they jump to the conclusion that they saw
a ghost. This happened because last night I could swear I saw
someone walking to the storage room in my backyard, but upon
examination, NO ONE was there and all the doors (three of them)
were locked. I didn't end up thinking "well, it must have been a
ghost." I just filed it under "unexplained."

I am leaving the teller of this story anonymous and since it
wasn't tape-recorded, or something like that, I have to retell is
as paraphrased.

"There are certain things you need to consider before claiming
something is done by a ghost. One of these things is timing. A
friend at work told me about this house on the (Oregon) coast.
It's empty and been abandoned for several years. But sometimes,
at a certain time of the day, there is a very loud moaning sound
that goes through the whole house. It's just moaning and nothing
else. People were freaked out by it and nobody would live there.
Some of them thought it was a ghost. Then, finally, one day, a
fisherman by the house heard the noise and decided to check it
out. He noticed that the noise happened whenever the tide came
in. See, timing. So he checked it out some more and found a well
in the basement. The well was dug a long time ago but people
stopped using it. But when the tide came in, the moaning sound
started up. The well was connected to the cliffs, made of
limestone. It's right there when the tide comes in and hits it.
He figured out the sound was the air rushing up through the well.
When the tide didn't come in, there was no air. And no sound. But
when the tide did come in, the air rushed up through the well and
made the moaning sound."

I thought this was interesting indeed. In my research on Oregon
hauntings, I discovered there are A LOT of haunted houses
(or...supposedly haunted). There is even a story in circulation
of how if you wander through the woods deep enough in Forest
Grove, a burly ghost will beat you up. (Source:
http://theshadowlands.net/places/oregon.htm ) But, I, of course,
am willing to test that theory myself. Just haven't figured out
how to squeeze that trip in. Timing, and all.

No comments: