Sunday, December 03, 2006

What good ARE possessions, anyway?

This month brings a bit of a financial crunch for myself and my child. After the rent, bills and car stuff gets paid for, there's very little left over for food and Christmas. Today I put together a "to do" list on how to tackle this problem. I was LUCKY my church helped us out to have a nice Thanksgiving dinner, but I know I can't rely on luck to help us have a nice Christmas. And avoid starving to death. So I'm working on solving that problem. I guess I gotta try to get a job EVERY DAY until I have one, asking my neighbor to watch my daughter so I can walk to places if I can't call them. And tell people, "If ANYTHING opens up, please let me know." There's this one business I tried to get a job at, but they said they were all filled. I left my resume with this department store even though they said nothing will be available until February, and that got me to realizing I should leave myself available at OTHER places in case something comes up. So, I should tell them "email me" if anything comes up. I mean, ANYTHING! Outside of being a mom, I have no real obligations, so I'm willing to work full-time, 7 days a week, doing whatever job I can get. (I sure would miss attending church, though. But as it is now, it's too cold to even WALK to church, and I haven't had the bus training yet to see how I could get there riding the bus.)

This is how it is being a single parent. I am slowly but surely learning the ropes.

But, anyway. I know someone who sells off his possessions for money. I used to try to sell some of my dolls, even though I want to save them for my daughter. But I have also thought of selling other things, too.

Actually, one common idea I'll have is to sell ALL of my worldly possessions and just live on the road. Haha.

I have thought of trying to get one of those live-in jobs. I've read about people who had those. They lived at someone's house and either did nanny work or housekeeping. I've thought of this, too, but...I have a child, so I don't see how that would work. She'd probably miss her toys, anyway. Me, I wouldn't mind parting with my stuff. I mean, AS LONG as I'm employed, able to provide for my child, etc., I am one happy camper. I know there are some possessions I have I'd get into trouble for selling off, though. My dresser belonged to my grandmother, so if I didn't keep it, it'd have to go to another sibling. My entertainment center belongs to a sister, and my table and chairs once belonged to a good family friend. I also have this ring that belonged to another good family friend and some books, photos and miscellaneous items that belong to my dad and other family members. Soo, parting with THAT stuff is out.

Well, in any event, I'm crossing my fingers something will come along soon. A job. A nice book deal. Getting a roommate. Or even winning the lottery! Ohh, wait a minute. I don't play the lottery. Well....something!

No comments: