Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

Even before today arrived, I knew it was going to be difficult. Today was the first Mother’s Day since my mother passed away last year. So for a few days now, and especially today, I kept thinking about Mother’s Day last year. I tried looking in my journal to see what I’d written on that day, but alas, I hadn’t written anything down. But I remember it so clearly: Last year, on Mother’s Day, I called Mom on the phone. Miraculously, I was able to get through to her – right before she was headed out the door, in fact. I am still so grateful I caught her on the phone when I did. I was also thankful that it was a good day for her: No trip to the hospital, no pain she was complaining about and nothing dramatic going on. Actually, she sounded happy. I was able to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day and she wished me one, too. Then she had to go; she was on her way to a Mother’s Day brunch and to have her picture taken.

I thought about that a lot today. I missed Mother’s Day brunches with my mom like we used to have. When we all lived together, my sisters, sister-in-law, myself and my mom all got together for a nice meal. It was always a happy day for all of us mothers gathering together and celebrating motherhood.

Ever since I moved to Oregon, though, that hasn’t happened for me again. I don’t get together with other moms for brunch – or even lunch. I celebrate Mother’s Day with my husband and children.

And even though I did get a little sad today because of how it was the first Mother’s Day since my mother died, it was still a good day. My children brightened my heart when they came bounding onto my bed this morning, tackling me with hugs, smothering me with kisses and wishing me a Happy Mother’s Day. I hugged those kids extra tight, telling them how much I love them and that if it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t be a mom!

Also, my husband made breakfast, exactly what I had a hankering for (scrambled eggs and toast) and they gave me their gifts, too. I got a gift card to the bookstore, a plaque Jesse made, cards and a beautiful orchid.

This was my “day off” with hubby doing all the housework and he even made dinner. Had my picture taken with the kids and we sat together on the couch watching TV. It was such a nice day today and I felt so blessed.

I also had some time to relax in bed today as well as have some time to read. I also made sure to wish other moms Happy Mother’s Day on Facebook and through texts. My phone acted iffy today so I was only able to post on so many profiles before it decided it didn’t want me to use Facebook anymore.

Today was not as bad as I thought it would be. It helped to have my children with me for Mother’s Day. And, in a way, I think my mom might’ve been with us today, too. Even just for a little while.


Millie said...

Cute pics. Gorgeous flowers :) glad to know you were taken care of today! Happy Mother's Day! Love u

Dawn Colclasure said...

Thanks, Millie. It was a nice day. Hard without that phone call to Mom but at least the prayer line is open 24/7. Love you, too.