Saturday, July 07, 2012

A perfect day for ice cream, music and water fun

Today was officially “summer” here in Eugene. Meaning it was HOT! Of course, not as hot as it gets in the California desert, but still pretty hot. I’d been saving a coupon for ice cream at Coldstone Creamery, and today was the perfect day to go out for ice cream Because the coupon was a twofer, I took Jennifer along with me. She loves going to Coldstone so she was really excited about it.

At Coldstone, Jen ordered a chocolate scoop with Butterfinger candy pieces mashed into it. I had cheesecake flavored ice cream with strawberries. I thought it was neat that they had cheesecake-flavored ice cream! They also had cotton candy and peanut butter. Yum! The ice cream was really good. While we ate, Jennifer asked who the musician was in the picture hanging above our table. I told her that was Buddy Holly. She said she thought it was Elvis. I made a mental note to introduce her to some OTHER musicians from the old days besides Elvis.

After Coldstone, we walked over to Trader Joe’s. On our way there, I asked her if she ever misses California. She looked at me and said, “All the time.”

I was shocked! I mean, I figure she is happy here in Oregon. She probably misses the family we have there. (I know I sure do.) I have always wondered if I would move us back to the California desert if that chance ever came up. I know I would want to be close to family again – without a doubt! But I have a lot of bad memories from life in that desert. And, of course, being a burn survivor, it’s not good to live somewhere with such oppressive heat! (Though I lived there for 14 years and came out okay. There ARE ways to get around that.) But Jennifer always talks about moving back to California someday and how she misses everyone. I DO want her to be happy. And, okay, me too. I miss my sisters.

So I told Jennifer, “Well, we’ll move back there someday, just because you want to.”

I hope that will happen.

When we got to Trader Joe’s, I realized it was a store Jennifer was not familiar with. She looked around and took all this different stuff in. She ended up not liking it very much. So I tried to just get that cookie butter I was there to buy (as well as snapping up a jar of honey apple butter) and get on out of there. I also bought a very nifty reusable Trader Joe’s bag. (It had surfboards on it! How could I say no??)

After that, we headed on our way to the store. On the way there, I told Jennifer I had a song stuck in my head. She said she had one, too. I asked her what it was and she said, “California Girl.” I laughed and said, “I have a Beach Boys song stuck in my head, too!” First it was “Get Around” then “Surfin’ USA.” (Ah, those surfboards!!) That was quite an interesting coincidence. We have Beach Boy fever!

While we were downtown, two police cars raced past us with sirens blaring. They parked maybe a block ahead of us. We tried to see what was going on but couldn’t get a good look. I told Jennifer “I don’t want to find out!” and took a detour. Unfortunately, that little detour got me a little lost and we pulled over a couple of times so I could text hubby for directions. Finally, I got back on West 11th. I told Jennifer to let her dad know via my phone and we were on our way to the store. I read her message at the store and noticed the two exclamation points after her message. I frowned at her and said, “Don’t yell at your father.” She thought that was funny.

After we got home, the kids played in the sprinklers and I watched an episode of Falling Skies I had DVRed. (AWESOME SHOW!!!)

We had a good day today. It’s not over yet! Now it’s time for pizza, a movie, and, of course, more music – but this time playing on the speakers! After all, I have some old songs and musicians I gotta introduce Jennifer to.

No comments: