Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Health day

Today, Jennifer decided to do a “health day.” Specifically, she wanted to do things good for her health. While I was happy that she wanted to do these things, I couldn’t help but wonder why every day can’t be a “health day.”

Ever since I wrote the first draft of the health book, I have taken a closer look at my own exercise and eating habits. Granted, I have been doing things for a while now, but this book actually snapped me to attention. So of course this has become a big issue in our home.

One of the things I talked with Jennifer about in her quest to be healthy is that moderation is key. Instead of eliminating junk food forever and ever, enjoy a treat every once in a while. Also, don't try to live off of one thing only. I heard about a woman who only ate one kind of foods every day and suffered health problems. When I told my husband, he said, "That's because she wasn't getting any trace minerals." He added that you cannot live off of one thing only. I also told her that she should watch the serving size of what she eats so that she doesn't end up eating two servings of something instead of one.

I have also come up with some pointers as a result of working on the health book, some of which I talked with Jennifer about:

1. Try to exercise in some way every day. Even if it’s only for 10 minutes, find a way to exercise. Go for a walk, stretch, ride your bike or go for a swim.

2. Try to eat right. A lot of us usually can’t, so I won’t say, “You MUST eat right at all times!” The key word is “try.” Opt for healthier alternatives. For example, I used to give the kids potato chips with their lunches. These days, I give them baked or whole wheat crackers instead. Opt for whole grain bread instead of white and have some yogurt for breakfast instead of sugary cereal.

3. Try to take care of yourself. Get enough sleep (though this has been IMPOSSIBLE for me during the summer because the kids are not sleeping!), take time to destress, deal with personal problems, practice good hygiene, etc.

4. Try to conquer temptations. I deal with them every day, believe me. But then I remind myself of why I brought changes into my life or tell myself “I’m not that person anymore.” Or I remind myself of how bad habits hurt my health.

5. Try to make good habits routine. Whether it’s morning prayer, a walk after dinner or exercising during commercial breaks, do it and keep doing it.

These are just some of the things I think could be a good part of a “health day.” If everybody tried to make every day a “health day,” I think more people would be seeing some positive results!

No comments: