Friday, August 08, 2008

8 good books to read

In honor of today being 8-8-08, I'm going to list my eight favorite books of all time. These are the books I couldn't put down, that I've read and reread, and couldn't stand to be without.

1. The Bible
Hands down, THE number one book of all time!

2. The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
I came across this book listed as favorite on my friend, April's, Blogger profile. I checked it out and this book LITERALLY changed my life!

3. Live in the Moment by Julie Clark Robinson
Another life-changing book. It also helps in dealing with crummy things in the past.

4. The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
I know, it's a children's book. But it's a classic that I have always cherished.

5. The Fox and the Hound (by?...)
Another children's book, but it was my most favorite book when I was a child. And I mean the ORIGINAL story, not the one that's the same as the movie. But the movie is good, too. :) Unfortunately, I no longer have this book, but I hope to find a copy to buy someday!

6. Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz
A novel, sure, but it was so captivating and a very good story. The ending had me in tears.

7. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Another novel, but I love dogs so of course I took to it. It's so much more than just a story, let alone a story told from the POV of a dog. Here again, the ending made me cry.

8. Chosen By a Horse by Susan Richards
This memoir tells the story of how Susan, survivor of an abusive past, was taught how to love, forgive and heal, thanks to her companionship with a most unlikely horse. (Yeah, this one brought on the tears, too.)

So, there you have it. My 8 favorite books of all time. I have others, of course, but these are my eight. As you can see, they are the books that made me laugh, cry, feel inspired but, most of all, grow inwardly just a little bit more. And that's what every good book should do.

No comments: