Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Cross

Yesterday, I had an appointment with a lactation consultant at the hospital. While Jennifer, Jesse and I sat in a room waiting to be taken to the office, Jen pointed at something up on the wall and asked, "What's that?"

I blinked at her in surprise. "That's a cross."

"What does it mean?"

More surprise. "That's what Jesus died on."

"Who's Jesus?"

OK, I thought. I'm going to have to have a little talk with her Sunday school teacher. And, maybe I should be more informative to her on that end, too. "You don't know who Jesus is?" I asked.

She shook her head.

I frowned. "What are they teaching you at church?" I then gave her a brief, summarized explanation of who Jesus was, why He died on the cross and how He died for all of us.

Jennifer got all sad. "He died?"

"Well...yes. The bad people hung Him on the cross. But, Jennifer, it's a good thing. He died for you and me. His death took away all of our sins." I started to wonder how I could explain the concept of original sin to a 6-year-old.

"But He died!" she went on, all teary-eyed and sad. She looked down, a deep frown on her face.

"Honey, Jesus isn't really dead," I explained. "It's just His body that died. Jesus came back to life. And He went to Heaven. His spirit is alive."

This didn't offer much consolation to her. She just sat there all sad, looking down at the floor.

"Don't be sad that He died, be happy," I said, unsure of the right words to say! "When He died, He took away all of our sins. And that means we get to go to Heaven, too, when we die." I thought on this for a minute, then added, "If you're good."

I wondered if those last words had any affect on her.

Well, she soon wasn't so sad anymore. And I made it a point to get out her Children's Bible and read to her the story of Jesus. (Uh, we haven't gotten to that part....yet.)

All of this made me remember that gospel song, "Old Rugged Cross." It wasn't long before it was stuck in my head. I love that song! It's one of my favorites.

Here are the lyrics:

The Old Rugged Cross
Copyright: George Bennard, 1873-1958

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best
for a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain:
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
has a wondrous attraction for me;
for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above
to bear it to dark Calvary. (Refrain)

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
a wondrous beauty I see,
for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
to pardon and sanctify me. (Refrain)

To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,
its shame and reproach gladly bear;
then he'll call me some day to my home far away,
where his glory forever I'll share. (Refrain)

2 comments:

J. Dreamer said...

yeah thats hard. But you know I am agnostic and so my view is different. I tell my kids this. Jesus died on the cross because people didnt understand the miracles he was creating on earth. Later they created a religion based on him because he was so wonderful, but he had to be gone before people understood. And still many dont. Jesus, God and religion are not one in the same. Religion gives us rules to live by, some are good some are bad, but there is never anything you will do that will make God or Jesus not love you. And that means there is no fear of hell. Yeah I know thats controversial, I happen to be controversial and its just who I am because of my lifetime of experience (and horrific childhood raised by religious zelout) I believe in love, and god and jesus. None of that other stuff religion keeps trying to force down our throats is important.
Your daughter has been in church how long and didnt know who jesus was. That should tell you something about religion, its not always based, on what it is supposed to be based on. He;s the main guy right? She should have told YOU "look mom its Jesus". Take your daughters spiritual upbringing into your own hands, dont pass that to her sunday school teacher. We stopped going to church because I felt the focus was wrong, it was all on telling our kids to be good and that we should all do this and do that to prove our love, and then be afraid of hell. Um, no.
As you have probably guessed, I AM writing a book on this, but I tend to ramble in these comments, LOL
sorry. I hope you will still be my friend even with my controversial view on religion.

Dawn Wilson said...

OF COURSE I will still be your friend! :) I don't choose friendships based on a person's religion. And I agree; they should not be teaching things THAT way! I was surprised she didn't know who Jesus was but you've brought up a very good point here. It really DOES take a village to raise our children and I should not just rely on her Sunday school teacher to tell her who Jesus is, who God is, etc. I pretty much told my daughter the same things about Jesus. Thank you for sharing your views and opinions. :)