Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sleep-deprived haze

Today, Jesse turns 10 days old. Woo-hoo!

Looking back so far, I can only use one word to describe it all: Muggy.

Seriously, we are ALL going through some heavy sleep-deprivation. For the first few days, I only got about 4 hours of sleep each day. There was ONE day not too long ago I got 6 hours of sleep, but so far, we're still going through the whole "not getting enough sleep" stage of new babyhood.

I am sooo glad I let editors know I'm taking downtime after baby's birth. There's no pressure or deadlines to face. Meanwhile, though, the OTHER stuff we have to do in life is getting a little....neglected.

For example, here's a summary of things that happened because of our sleep-deprivation:

--I forgot ALL about a prescription I had at the pharmacy, which my doctor faxed over before I left the hospital

--We forgot to put the garbage out for trash day

--We forgot to check the newspapers for the birth announcement (I wonder if it's too late?)

--I ended up saying something in an email to a good, longtime friend which UNINTENTIONALLY hurt that person's feelings (I swear I don't even KNOW what I am saying half the time! Or remembering what I'm saying.)

--We forgot to help daughter with homework so there was one day that she didn't get her homework turned in.

Of course, we have been having the usual crankiness and carelessness because of this sleep-deprivation. Hubby and I have gotten into a spat or two, but we make up later on, knowing we're both just tired and running on empty. We have also been trying to get this house back in order (it was a DISASTER when I came home) but it is taking a while. On top of this, we're trying to get EVERYTHING post-baby in order: All his paperwork and medical stuff taken care of. For the first week, we sure did a lot of running around to appointments and making phone calls.

I myself have also faced obstacles because of the sleep deprivation. I have YET to pay a writer whose article I bought for the E-zine. And every time I remind myself, I forget again! ARGH! I also haven't been able to put out the November issue (I'm the only person who does it and I haven't really had the time!) and I feel guilty about that even though I let readers know the November issue might be late because of a pending birth. I haven't been able to do ANY writing besides this blog, though I've had plenty of ideas for stuff to write, which I've scribbled down. (Hopefully, I can find the chance to get them written up soon.)

But the lack of writing is something I keep thinking about. I don't feel guilty about THAT, because I know that taking care of the baby (and myself) are more important. And they're not stuff anybody is WAITING to read/publish, anyway. But what I also think is...what would happen if I DID try to write them? My brain isn't even functional these days. I get soooo tired, sometimes I almost fall asleep right when we're having dinner! And sometimes I can't even think straight. AND when I'm typing stuff, my work is littered with typos I have to go back and fix. If I try to write...would any of it make any sense? Sometimes I think of the writing I want to do and either confuse myself or end up not making any sense to myself. Would I be able to even write what I plan to write, without messing it up? I can't even THINK of how that could go wrong at this point, but I'm sure there are ways it could happen. So maybe it's just as well I'm not able to write them. Yet.

Too bad the same can't be said for me driving anywhere. So far, no accidents. So far.

2 comments:

J. Dreamer said...

you sound like you are doing ok! Really! With my second baby I was so tired I called my hubby who had driven to his job 2 HOURS away, about ten minutes after he got to work, to cry into the phone that I burned myself trying to cook an egg. He immediately came home, 2 hours later of course, let me take a nap for an hour and then went back to work which meant he came home after midnight that day. But I could not have functioned without that nap, LOL
Soon this will all be a fond memory and you will have a little more sleep (I wont lie, you wont get a FULL nights sleep for another 2 years. LOL) Just take as many naps as you can.
Is your daughter in kindergarten or 1st grade? If she is in kindergarten you can look forward to napping more when she goes to 1st grade!!!!

Dawn Wilson said...

Heh, yeah. Right now, she is in kindergarten. Even though she's not in school for too long, that time when she IS in school sure does help! I certainly get more stuff done, even with baby in tow. (My arms are getting a workout carrying his car seat!) Thanks so much. :)