Friday, March 06, 2015

Dr. Seuss Extravaganza


This evening, I took Jesse to the Dr. Seuss Extravaganza that was being held at his school. For all of this week, his school has been celebrating “Dr. Seuss Week.” Theodor Geisel, AKA Dr. Seuss, was honored this week because his birthday was on Monday. There was a different theme for every day of the week (like “Silly sock day” and “wacky Wednesday”). The school does this every year during the week of Dr. Seuss’ birthday. Jennifer had fun participating in those days and at the Extravaganza when she went to that school. Now it was Jesse’s turn. We didn’t go last year because I wasn’t feeling well but this year I was fine so we went. I was glad Jennifer came along with us. It was a chance for her to visit her old school and see some of her teachers from her elementary school years.



When we went this time with Jesse as the student this time around, I really didn’t know what to expect. When we’d gone before, when Jennifer was a student there, I remember pushing Jesse around in a stroller. Now he was on foot! And who knows what would happen?



The “on foot” thing was actually an issue. The kids kept disappearing! And when I found one, I’d lost the other one! So, at first, while Jesse was going from one activity to another, I was constantly keeping tabs on where both kids were. Jennifer didn’t really want to play the games, though she DID paint, because she was more interested in exploring and finding her old teachers. (We did see quite a few of them and she also said hi to the principal. They were all surprised at how much she’d changed!) Thankfully, though, I didn’t lose them. I managed to find both of them when one or the other went off my radar.



There were a lot of people at the event but it was not too packed. Also, it was not too “out of control,” either. People got into lines and the lines were managed okay and games/activities moved along smoothly. Well, that was until Thing 1 or Thing 2 made an appearance! Jennifer was amused to still see Thing 1 and Thing 2 at the Dr. Seuss Extravaganza. They were up to mischief, as usual, and just being silly. They were a hit and Jesse got excited to see them. He was also excited to see the Cat in the Hat.



After the games and activities, we visited the book fair then Jesse got his face painted. Then it was time for us to go home.



We had a lot of fun at the Dr. Seuss Extravaganza, I am so glad I was able to take Jesse this year and also glad that Jennifer came along, too. I think it was good for her to say hello to some of her old teachers and I know they were happy to see her. I look forward to going again next year. 




No comments: