Monday, April 01, 2013

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated

Note: I don't ordinarily post on my blog on April 1st unless it's meant to be a joke but, in this case, something happened today and I wanted to blog about it. So do know that this is a genuine blog post and not meant to be a joke....


Why do we have to be dying or on the verge of death when we are making out a will or preparing our own final arrangements?

I was asking myself that question after I learned about something that happened today.

Earlier this year, I decided it was time to start getting everything ready in the event I somehow or another dropped dead. Make out a will, decide on my burial arrangements and take care of other loose ends that would need to be settled in order to avoid any problems for who I left behind. Part of this arrangement means ensuring that certain financial matters are resolved. With this in mind, I visited my bank recently to make sure there would be no problems for my husband as far as obtaining funds from my account following my death were concerned. After I left the bank that day, I felt better that it was one less thing to worry about.

Well, this evening, my husband told me he was at the bank today, and a woman who works there, who I’ve known for years, was asking him if I was okay. She seemed concerned that I was in poor health. I realized that she must’ve overheard me talking to another teller on my recent visit to the bank! Oops! Gosh, I sure hope I didn’t cause her any worry. That was really sweet of her to ask but I felt bad that maybe I’d inadvertently caused her alarm.

No, I am not sick. I am not dying. I am just settling everything and making sure everything is in order for when that time DOES come. I don’t want there to be any chaos or confusion or any problems as far as finances are concerned after my death. Just want to make sure everything is in order.

But, don’t worry. I’m fine. Alive and kicking. Sorry for the scare.

No comments: