Friday, July 25, 2008

Creativity knows no age

Last night, I was chatting with my husband while he was at work. I am planning to attend a NKOTB concert in Portland in November and I mentioned my concerns about travel. Since the show is on the weekend, I don't have to worry about care for my children. That's not a concern. What is a concern is getting to Portland and getting around. I have been to Portland a few times (thank you, parenthood!) so I've been able to see what it's like. And to sum up: There's no way I could find my way around in that city. Trust me on this. I am known for getting lost! And even...driving there, at that. So I told my husband I'm going to a show in Portland in November and did he have any ideas about the travel issue? When he asked what show it was, I said "A NKOTB concert."

"Aren't they a little too old to be doing this?" he asked.

That question is the very same thing people who are not fans of the New Kids are saying. "They're too old." Geez, it's not like any of them are old enough to qualify for a freaking senior discount! They're not that old. And, besides, if you think about it, these guys are doing what they love to do. And doing what you love to do is the greatest thing in the world. If you can do it, I say do it!

The long and short of it is, they are creative people. And creativity knows no boundary. Creativity knows no age. When you are creating something -- be it a song, a story, a piece of art or a movie -- it doesn't matter how old you are. These guys obviously are blessed with the skill to make music thousands of people around the world love and enjoy. And I totally support their decision to bring that music back to the world.

As for the whole "age thing," well, it's like asking Morgan Freeman, "Aren't you a little too old to be playing pretend?" Or asking Gisele Bundchen, "Aren't you a little too old to be playing dress up?"

My opinion, if someone has what it takes to do what they love to do, to do what they want to do, then they shouldn't be judged by their age. Let's not judge the members of the NKOTB based on how old they are. Instead, let's take a look at what they've got. And they've obviously still got "the right stuff." Those who love them are grateful the guys are tearing down those age boundaries to share with us their gift for song.