Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Another bus incident!

After I dropped Jennifer off at school this morning, I was driving home and saw this mom frantically running with her baby in a stroller. I wondered why she was running so fast until I saw a bus pull up to the bus stop not too far ahead of her, and the mom reach that bus stop in time to board it. It made me SO grateful I don’t have to ride the city bus anymore. There was only one time I had to RUN to catch a bus, and that was only because I’d ended up getting on the WRONG bus that took me back to the bus station instead of to my stop!

Well, today, I was chasing after another bus. And it wasn’t exactly a city bus that I was running to catch up to!

Today I had an appointment to meet with somebody. Because I’d never been to this place before, I had a slight fear I might get lost. But I went anyway, confidently holding the directions in my hand.

And I ended up getting lost. ARGH!

My appointment was at 1, but because I got lost, I didn’t get there until 1:30. This was not a good thing, because my son would be getting out of school soon. So I was pretty nervous about the time while I was talking with this lady I had to meet. (While also being aware of one other thing I had to do before getting my son.)

It was nearly 2 when I got out of there. The other thing I had to do was at the Downtown Library, so I was pretty mush RUSHING through the library to do what I had to do. My son’ s bus was due at the bus stop at 2:30, and I left the library with only 8 minutes to get there. Yikes!

I tried to drive fast to get to the bus stop, but OF COURSE I ended up driving behind a slooooooow driver. ARGH! I was a nervous wreck I would not make it in time!

By the time I got to the street the bus stop is on, the bus was already there – at the first stop!

I had too many cars in front of me to park behind the bus when it stopped at Jesse’s bus stop, so I realized I was going to have to park on the side of the road, jump out of the car and RUN to the bus stop! If I was not there to get Jesse, the bus would take him back to his school. And I had to be somewhere else at 3:15 and I was STARVING! (Why can’t there be two of me??)

So that’s what I did. I parked the car, jumped out and RAN up the street to the bus stop. And I made it there in time. WOO-HOO!!

So I’m standing a little ways behind the doors of the bus, watching as the kids climbed out, looking for Jesse. But Jesse never got off the bus. And then the doors CLOSED!

A thought flashed through my mind: GAH! SHE CAN’T SEE ME!!

I practically threw myself to stand in front of the doors before the bus could pull away. I frantically waved my arms through the air, yelling, “I’m here! I’m here!”

The doors opened and there was the bus driver, laughing over the whole thing. Jesse was standing near her, looking at me funny. I admit I laughed a little, too, but mostly I was glad I was able to get her attention. Yes! Score one for the Mom Team!

So Jesse climbed off the bus and we calmly walked back to my car. I know this was a crazy thing to happen today, and a little funny, too, but to be honest, I’m not surprised it happened. What is it with me and chasing buses, anyway?

No comments: